AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  slavestateReply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
carbon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

dunno has this question cropped up before but anyway.
on the track slavestate at about the 3.30 mark i can hear a voice saying something, can anyone else hear this?
elrrek
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:40 pm  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

Yes.

It's backward masked but basically what gets said is this:

Justin: that mixer sounds a bit off Martin?
KMart: Geezer! What d'ya expect? That bass sample is NANG, it's bound to brock something!
Justin: Oh, right.

avocado diaboli wrote:
I fully suppotz this decision simply because beard.
Monotremata
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:45 pm  Reply with quote
bent on world D.A.R.mination!

Thats what he gets for sampling Stakka!!!!!

You hear a voice sample in there??
Fuck man that whole album is NANG as far as production goes..

I think Justin's brocked his Tascam on that one and Pure!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
skanfrom
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

shit they DO sound stinkin. even though they are both amazing records. I always blamed it on a cheap vinyl pressing. stinkin Earache.

Monotremata
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

Nah cant blame all of that one on Dig hehe.

Justin always said he wasnt happy with the way those two turned out mix-wise..
But shit they recorded both of those albums on a Tascam Midistudio 688..
You aint gonna get Benny's low end across very clearly recording onto a cassette tape hehe. Then again, alot of it has to do with what actually goes in, and I bet Jus didnt have lotsa cash for decent mic pres and his lovely Avalon rig he uses now..

I still have access to a Midistudio!! I wonder if hell give me the tapes so I can 'remix' them properly since he aint got time for Godflesh anymore!!

yeah theyre still AMAZING even though you can barely make out Justins guitar work hehe. Trying to figure out the tracks on the Slavestate album drove me nuts when I first got it..

Now you wanna yell at Earache for not properly re-recording something when it shouldve been.. Lets talk about Carcass and Reek Of Putrefaction hehe.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
elrrek
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:15 pm  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

I think "Slavestate" has some fantastic material on it but the production and mix was always sore on my ears. I even considered getting out my vinyl copy to see if it sounded any less harsh than the CD I got once I stopped playing vinyl - mad!

avocado diaboli wrote:
Runabout120
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:11 pm  Reply with quote
Ř-Ř-Ř-Ř

anyway, this whole "NANG" production is quite cool somewhere... That's what Slavestate makes charismatic. But it would be interesting to hear a remastered version of slavestate and i guess it would be better for the ears....
Monotremata
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:30 pm  Reply with quote

Aint no remastering gonna help it unless maybe they send it to someone like John Golden..

Justin's 'remasters' of the Slavestate/Pure tracks on the In All Languages comp did absolutely nothing but make the kick drum and this nice cloud of 80hz OOOPH get a hell of a lot louder and push everything else further away hehe..
Sounds like they just ran the track through an EQ plugin or something with a Bass Boost preset honestly.. After reading about Mick's recent problems with this Napalm Death documentary and Dig's rights to Napalm Death, I bet Justin didnt have alot of control over what he could do though, if he even has the original cassette masters in his possession, which Dig probably does.

You gotta have good shit going in to get good shit coming out..
Ive gotten killer stuff out of a Tascam that makes Pure and Slavestate sound really NANG, but I also had those albums to look back on and a few years of other stuff in between for starting points.. They were experimenting with stuff, cant hate em for that, this was 1991 and fuckin a having your own 8 track portastudio was the shit!! They did get that massive wall of sound they wanted out of the guitars, but at the cost of some clarity in what chords and notes were actually being played.. But again, probably the result of sub-par micing, preamps, etc..
At least by the time Merciless and Selfless came out they had a bit more gear and money and now THAT album is probably the greatest sounding of them all..

elrrek
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:12 am  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

Are you trying to tell me that "Selfless" was recorded on a Tascam 8 track?

Because if you are, I'm going to sit here with my fingers in my ears and shouting LA LA LA - CAN'T HEAR YOU.

That's pretty damn stunning.

avocado diaboli wrote:
deadcase
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

you can get some good results from an 8 track if you know what you are doing.. I used to record entirely on a Fostex DMT-8VL and I learnt a hell of a lot about recording from that digital multitracker.. mainly.. that its very frustrating only being able to record 2 tracks at a time!!... I knew I should have gone for a second hand 8trk real-to-real at the time... do all my recording with a pc and occasionally a laptop now though... just writing new stuff at the moment and using new software (Fruityloops/Audition/n-Track/Mixmeister Fusion/Acid Pro 6....etc...you gotta love reverse engineering software hahaha) for sequencing drums etc...
elrrek
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:52 pm  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

Yeah, but there is a hell of a lot of difference between a modern day digital 8 track and a Tascam CASSETTE tape based 8 track, which is what Godflesh were using.

I used to have a Tascam 424 and that was bad enough for hiss, wobble and shit without sticking a JCM 800 in front of it!

avocado diaboli wrote:
Meho Krljic
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:06 pm  Reply with quote
8===D (x(

Shit, this is kinda getting too technical for me, I'm just a dumb drummer who never even owned a drumset (an you can hear that). Can I just say that I actually realleh and truleh think that Slavestate sounds rather NANG as you esteemed gentlemen would put it. Sure, it's not very clear in terms of frequences you actually need to hear to be able to tell the actual tones and, uh, sure, the mixing is a bit awkward and, sure, the vynil pressing of the actual LP isn't brilliant (don't know about the 7" versions though, but I doubt it was any better) but it's still dog's bollocks to me. I love how the Perfect Skin Dub becomes totally obliterated with what I imagine was every fucking track of that poor 8-track recorder there hitting red most of the time. I also love Pure's (somewhat) more clinical and clean sound. I happen to think that Merciless but specifically Selfless leans a bit too much on the clean side (even though the gain in pure heaviness on that record is appriciated). Er, yes, that's it for today...
The Inferno Master
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

You guys don't know what that sound is at 3:30? That's Justin, in the dark mixing room, in the glow of the Hammerhead console being projected on the wall, sweating and zoning out. He fell forward onto the mixing table and that sound is him going "oomph..." and being winded, they left it in because the band was unsure if they could take going back down into the darkness another time to that degree for another pass on the song, it just wouldn't have been as dark and real, so they left it in.

So the story goes, I forget where I heard it.

elrrek
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:06 pm  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

The Inferno Master wrote:
You guys don't know what that sound is at 3:30? That's Justin, in the dark mixing room, in the glow of the Hammerhead console being projected on the wall, sweating and zoning out. He fell forward onto the mixing table and that sound is him going "oomph..." and being winded, they left it in because the band was unsure if they could take going back down into the darkness another time to that degree for another pass on the song, it just wouldn't have been as dark and real, so they left it in.

So the story goes, I forget where I heard it.

SHUT THE HELL UP TIM!

My version is the D>A>R> version, you are talking out your bum-hole and are totaly F A L S E!

avocado diaboli wrote:
Monotremata
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

Oh no no no sorry if i misled!! No way in hell Selfless was recorded on a cassette hehe.

I wish I knew what they did use for that. I know around Us & Them, maybe it was SoLaH, Justin was in another Guitar World talking about his laptop and Cubase but I cant imagine that was a monetarily feasible solution in 93/94.

I was thinking more along the lines of like an ADAT maybe??

JMA689
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:37 pm  Reply with quote
mode-wataaaaa

I think Selfless was the 1st one to be recorded digitally on a workstation synth or something....
I love the lo-fi sounds of Slavestate and Pure... Selfless is too clean.

Lemmy Kilmister wrote:
'In my life so far, I have discovered that there are really only two kinds of people: those who are for you, and those who are against you. Learn to recognize them, for they are often and easily mistaken for each other.'
The Inferno Master
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, but Selfless has that woofer punishing quality - what Godflesh record are you going to blast when you're driving around with your homies crusin' the ho's? Certainly not Streetcleaner. And what track are you going to blast when you do a driveby at Grindfag's house? Bigot, of course.

I love the production on Selfless, myself.

Josh
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:10 pm  Reply with quote
Owt and Abowt

The production on Selfless and SoLaH is very similar to my ears, super clean and almost mechanical sounding. I love it. The only Godflesh album where I don't care for the production is Hymns, you can't hear Benny's bass at all, huge mistake.

Monotremata
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah amen there.. Now if only we could get like actual copies of the demos, instead of just mp3 rips..

Now THOSE were heavy as fuck.. What happened when they took it to the studio??

Hey I blast Streetcleaner in my car just as often as Selfless..
I just have to make sure I turn the volume up to 30 for it instead of 20 where everything else sounds perfect hahaha.

Meho's on to something there.. I wonder just how much overdubbing Justin does to get that guitar sound (I thought just two tracks one left one right).. Because from all the mush it sounds like a few bounces all squished together..

I Don't Need God
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:07 pm  Reply with quote
Heretic

Selfless is by far the best sounding album. I think Slateman has an interview on his site from later where Justin was talking about the Columbia deal and how it got GF a bunch of new gear and a 24 track desk. I think it was ADAT that he used on that one. And I thought he used an 8 track ADAT for Pure but I could be wrong. SOLAH he did with Cue base.

Slavestate is fucking great though. I love the muddyness on that one. I think it sound better than pure.

Gray
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:31 pm  Reply with quote
Wassup

What Serb said.

completelygone
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:29 am  Reply with quote

I love the production of Hymns except I do agree that the bass tones are severely lacking. No wonder Benny left!!!

I remastered the Hymns demos recently and I want to post them here later. I tried to get the bass sound just right. But, yeah those MP3 rips arn't anywhere near as good as the masters.

Pure was recorded on an 8track cassette recorder for sure.

I think Selfless and SoLaH sound much differently than each other, although both are clean, SoLaH sounds slightly more fucked up compared to Selfless, which has the cleanest sound of any GODFLESH record I've ever heard.

Slavestate is tooooo muddy for me.
Meho Krljic
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:44 am  Reply with quote
8===D (x(

K3OT3: "And what track are you going to blast when you do a driveby at Grindfag's house? Bigot, of course. "

Pure gold. sniggering sniggering sniggering sniggering