AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  Avalanchers MusicReply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
deadcase
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:08 pm  Reply with quote

I happened to mention to Gray and upon the avalancheinc forum that at some point I thought that it might be quite a nice idea to have a small sideline to this site in the shape of a page with an mp3 flash player embedded upon it whereabouts the music of the posters of avancheinc forum and this here avalanchers forum could share one or two of their tracks for the listening pleasure/pain of other board users.

What do you think everybody? Is there anyone willing to share one or two tunes? there will of course be room on any 'music page(s)' for a small blurb and a link to peoples webpages also.

Once there are say.. uh.. oh I dont know.. lets say.. 5 tracks... I'll install the page with the mp3 flash player and do a little tweaking in order to keep the page in line with the template used for the forum. Anyone interested in sharing one or a couple of their tracks pm me to let me know where I can download the track(s).

Let me know your thoughts please, it'll be muchly appreciated.

*edit* the flash mp3 players colours can be editted and it also has track and playlist activation link support via javascript and xml. An example of the flash mp3 player to which I have been referring in the post can be found at the following url.

http://jeroenwijering.com/?item=Flash_MP3_Player
JMA689
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:00 am  Reply with quote
mode-wataaaaa

I don't want to be a party pooper, but that would save you a lot of work if people were just listing their myspace page here. Since most of the people have a myspace account and it already features a flash music player... Idea

Lemmy Kilmister wrote:
'In my life so far, I have discovered that there are really only two kinds of people: those who are for you, and those who are against you. Learn to recognize them, for they are often and easily mistaken for each other.'
deadcase
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

yeah thats a fair point JMA and by all means list links here to your music upon myspace and elsewhere... the one thing different to myspace obviously would be that one track would play into another by another artist unlike myspace and the mp3 player could sit in the background whilst people surf to other pages whilst they listen to avalanchers music...

... incidentally.. it wouldnt be very much work at all in fact as I already have code written and in use elsewhere which would only require my copying & pasting a 9kb flash file and creating an xml playlist.. that'd be it really Smile
Gray
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:49 pm  Reply with quote
Wassup

Might as well throw it up there and see how the folks react, no?
Monotremata
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:38 pm  Reply with quote
bent on world D.A.R.mination!

Hmmm what if this place uses higher quality than myspace..
I cant remember what the downgrade your files too but some of em are horrible!!

Maybe here we can do like some 160 or 320k versions now that would rock...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
deadcase
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

I'd be up for the idea of hosting downloadable tracks at the bitrates that you are suggesting Chris... but the trouble with having a streaming format is that you want it to be conveyed to the widest audience possible and there are people out there that would be waiting a week for a stream to buffer before it started playing... but yeah of course its open to discussion and there would be no problem with trying out perhaps a couple of links for each track.. like say a 'low' or 'high' quality audio stream link for example... thats doable like..
Monotremata
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

oh yeah i keep forgetting about that bandwidth thing hehehe..

low/hi choices would rule! I usually do that with our stuff anyways although lately weve just gone with either mp3 or AAC no more low/hi but maybe I better remember that not everyone has hi speed still hah!

great idea! and like I said if you need any help space wise to store stuff, let me know.
we can take care of that for ya!!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
deadcase
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

sweet yeah... thanks for the offer Chris... we'll bear it in mind... I'm sure that Gray's 15billion gbs should suffice for now though lol but as its Gray that is hosting the site he'd be the one in the best position to comment upon webspace if it were necessary at any point... which I'm sure wont be an issue at any point anyway...
Monotremata
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:57 pm  Reply with quote

whoa shit.. Hey gray can we move monotrematamusic.com over here then hehehehehe.

rockin wasnt sure what kinda hosting you guys picked up whether it was a freebie site or not but sounds like its all sorted..

deadcase
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:23 am  Reply with quote

the way things came about was that myself and Gray had a chat and we ended up talking about setting up this forum.. Gray kindly offered to host the forum as not only has he got 'more space than he is ever likely to use in his lifetime'..(dreamhost)... I've paraphrased his quote there.. but.. he also knew that I'm not currently in a financial position to commit to paying for a continual base for the forum as I'd mentioned it too him.. so he kindly stepped in with his offer of hosting the domain which I purchased shortly after our conversation.. Gray set to creating an ftp account and we both worked upon installing the latest version of phpbb prior to my installing a new template and modding some of the underlying php.. the red tree graphic is my handiwork and.. well.. here we are really...

... having read a post by JMA though.. I do want to clarify an unimportant point which I've previously commmented upon.. 'legally' the domain is in my name.. so technically the domain name is mine... HOWEVER.. as I've already stated I intend to take very much a back seat and help out in the background with such things as the functionality of the forum itself.. template modding and whatnot... this of course requires my having admin level access so that I can test shit out from time to time though.. but I very much hope not to have any need to edit any other avalanchers posts.. I hate censorship as much as the next man... unless I recieve threat of legal action or recieve a visit from the local constabulary threatening to take my computer away or similar.. blah.. you get the drift anywhoo...

... the idea behind this forum is to help strengthen the already strong community that has existed at avalancheinc forum for quite some time and I hope for this to come about through collective efforts.. whether it be from advice upon how to implement new functionality for the board.. too contributions from the artists/photoshoppers within the forum upon possible future template design for example...

hahaha rambling now over...
JMA689
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:59 am  Reply with quote
mode-wataaaaa

hey, deadcase, i was trying to give you some credit (cf. the news page on In The Flesh Wink ), since you and Gray did such a good job.
Now, my question: are you going to move your ass to the Jesu Myspace page and write a message to see if we can have this board to be the "official" avalanche board. I mean, it's so much better than the ezboard, we have total control on it (we can moderate it!) and apparently, transfering people is a breathe (even Jason is here!)...
It's like moving from an abandoned house to a mansion...

my 2nd question is: do you guys want this board to be the official avalanche one? I am sure there is a bunch of links to update (like on godflesh.com etc...) but it's a question of emailing people.

Mad

Lemmy Kilmister wrote:
'In my life so far, I have discovered that there are really only two kinds of people: those who are for you, and those who are against you. Learn to recognize them, for they are often and easily mistaken for each other.'
Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:34 am  Reply with quote
Where am I?

I'm starting to like this board more and more. It would be good to be the 'official' avalanche board lol - god I love these characters Mr. Green Mad
chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:55 am  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh

I reckon Radio Avalanchers is a top idea.

Re: Myspace: personally speaking, if I ever get round to finishing any of the dozens of projects/tracks I have knocking around, I don't want to give the global publishing rights to Rupert cocking Murdoch for nowt...
But then I'm not really bothered about anyone else hearing my stuff.
Gray
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:14 pm  Reply with quote
Wassup

I should add that originally TIM and I were having a small chat about the state of the board, which I then briefly mentioned to deadcase, and things kinda snowballed. Hopefully all you guys like this place enough to make it work.
deadcase
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:40 pm  Reply with quote

hahaha now your catching on Chickenfish... thats the kind of direction I was thinking of... its entirely possible that we could set up some form of podcasting flash player whereabouts volunteers could take it in turns to 'dj/introduce/waffle-on' between the avalanchers users tunes in a cheesy dj stylee.. obviously it would be one way of broadening the catchment net so to speak as links to any podcasting page could be made available throughout other messsageboards and websites also.. and who knows if the community grows one or two artists may end up with interest from a label or something..

... the 'official' board status I'm undecided about currently obviously we'd be well chuffed if JB was happy for us to be the 'official board'.. I'll mention it to Gray and see what he makes of the idea JMA.. its flattering that so many people have expressed how much they like the board.. I think I can speak for Gray for a moment when I say that we are both very happy that people like the board so much..
Gray
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:07 pm  Reply with quote
Wassup

Official board status would be nice, sure... but I'm happy as long as everyone else is, like I said before.