AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  Martyn: 'Dubstep in the US has taken the place of nu-metal'Reply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
golem
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:54 am  Reply with quote

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jun/13/sounds-europe-martyn-interview

www.myspace.com/proudpilot
nothinger
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:54 am  Reply with quote

So one shit takes place of the another...
joeki
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:34 pm  Reply with quote
Methuselah

Martyn = damn fine producer. Good read.

JMA689
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:02 pm  Reply with quote
mode-wataaaaa

I can totally relate with the last paragraph/answer.
Good read.

That said, about Skrillex, I see 2 options: either he's opening doors, and offering "dubstep" to a wide audience, making it mainstream, and then this audience will maybe look for more and discover the "original" dubstep, OR (and it's more likely), he's going to kill the dubstep scene in the US and make it a caricatural pre-digested musical joke.

Lemmy Kilmister wrote:
'In my life so far, I have discovered that there are really only two kinds of people: those who are for you, and those who are against you. Learn to recognize them, for they are often and easily mistaken for each other.'
slntwtchr
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:13 pm  Reply with quote
Wildcard, Bitches...

JMA689 wrote:
Good read.

That said, about Skrillex, I see 2 options: either he's opening doors, and offering "dubstep" to a wide audience, making it mainstream, and then this audience will maybe look for more and discover the "original" dubstep, OR (and it's more likely), he's going to kill the dubstep scene in the US and make it a caricatural pre-digested musical joke.

I think it's already there. When I'm forced to listen to the radio (as I was in a car over the weekend) the fact that random pop-songs seem to love to throw in a dub-step section in the middle for 30 seconds means it's over. I heard at least 2 or 3 songs doing it. But maybe it will die a quick death so that it can re-emerge in an acceptable form again. Or at least we can kill the name and morph it into something more interesting.
joeki
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:18 pm  Reply with quote
Methuselah

Pretty much agree. Most interesting producers from "that era" have since moved on, like Martyn himself. So the appeal is totally gone. A handful of the originators are still doing above average stuff (like Mala), the rest are rehashing, or have moved on. It was fun while it lasted.

Damian
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

at least it shows people are passionate about music, never been so much talk.

Hell it's fucking fun in clubs though, super loud: Skrill, Knife Party and you lot heard SIRsir and 'Suicide Girl'?

Plus your Trolleys, Funtcases etc.

Killer!!! Anyway leave the hating to the internet/social network hippies.
Gray
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:04 pm  Reply with quote
Wassup

The funny thing is, all the Skrillex / Nero / UKF loving brosteppers I've ever talked to have no clue what the sound was originally like. Play them some DMZ stuff, and when you tell them this is proper OG dubstep they'll look at you as if you're crazy, then try and convince you it's drum'n'bass or trip-hop. Unless it's made up of obnoxious buzzsaw wobble wankery and has a 'massive drop' every 5 bars then it ain't dubstep! Fuck.

golem
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

MUHAHAHA!!

lewcrusher
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:56 am  Reply with quote

JMA689 wrote:
Good read.

He's not as bad as nero, but then thats like saying "would you rather have ebola or smallpox?"
A part of me wishes roly vex'd would twat skrillex in his retarded emo looking face!
saxenhammer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

Its actually quite apt that there is a whole new breed of american dubstep that doesn't remember your dmz's, horsepower's etc ... Now they're on a level playing field with Mr Harris Smile

deadcase
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

Hey, let's play some Skrillex..

NOOOO!

Kodiak
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:28 pm  Reply with quote
Master of Bear Fu

Modern dubstep is being used in commercials and promotions for professional wrestling. It's hit the mainstream and it ain't comin' back.

Good interview, though! Martyn seems like a pretty likeable chap.

Gray
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:40 pm  Reply with quote
Wassup

Should sort out that poncy haircut though.

joeki
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:06 pm  Reply with quote
Methuselah

I don't like his recent tunes. I mean, there's four to the floor, and there's four to the flawr...but he's done some amazing tracks in the past and his 3024 label still offers up quality from time to time.

Monotremata
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:11 pm  Reply with quote
bent on world D.A.R.mination!

Kodiak wrote:
Modern dubstep is being used in commercials and promotions for professional wrestling. It's hit the mainstream and it ain't comin' back.

Good interview, though! Martyn seems like a pretty likeable chap.

I just heard it in some furniture commercial with J-Lo even..
Seriously, did all these dubstep 'artists' all just download the same damn sample cd and throw it into Ableton Live?
Cause I hear the saaaaaaaaaame shit in every song. Doesnt anybody actually try and make their own sounds anymore?
You think if I showed Skrillex my Waldorf Microwave XT hed even know how to turn it on??

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DARWIN
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:15 pm  Reply with quote
I'll never escape

Monotremata wrote:
Doesnt anybody actually try and make their own sounds anymore?

trvth
Body Dome Light
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:11 am  Reply with quote

You gotta admit it is NICE to see numetal go the way of hair metal, though.
Kodiak
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:28 pm  Reply with quote
Master of Bear Fu

I for one will miss the over-sized pants and vacant stares.

JMA689
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:56 pm  Reply with quote
mode-wataaaaa

Body Dome Light wrote:

Hopefully, that doesn't mean that in 10years from now, the suburbs are going to be graced by the reformation of nu metal bands playing in front of the nostalgic older crowd the same way it's happening with the hair metal bands now.

(oh snap, isn't it what Godfiesh is doing?)

Lemmy Kilmister wrote:
'In my life so far, I have discovered that there are really only two kinds of people: those who are for you, and those who are against you. Learn to recognize them, for they are often and easily mistaken for each other.'
Monotremata
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:37 pm  Reply with quote
bent on world D.A.R.mination!

JMA689 wrote:
Body Dome Light wrote:

Hopefully, that doesn't mean that in 10years from now, the suburbs are going to be graced by the reformation of nu metal bands playing in front of the nostalgic older crowd the same way it's happening with the hair metal bands now.

(oh snap, isn't it what BLACK SABBATH is doing?)

FYP!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
blipseed
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:30 pm  Reply with quote
At least I have nice teeth?

JMA689 wrote:
Good read.

+1!

a3k
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:15 am  Reply with quote

Dutch (underground) music is a fckn bore.
It seems like most cloggies are too spoiled to put their hearts into their music. It's mostly regarded as leisure, as opposed to a necessary creative outlet. That's ok I guess, just not something I'm particularly interested in.

Martyn seems like a nice enough fellow though.
Body Dome Light
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:15 am  Reply with quote

JMA689 wrote:
Body Dome Light wrote:

(oh snap, isn't it what Godfiesh is doing?)

That would be like returning home, since nu metal was spawned from suburban America to begin with. They didn't call it mallcore for nothing. This shit ruled when I was in high school, so when that first wave of nostalgia rolls around it will be especially painful for me. Although I liked Deftones, sorry.
JMA689
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:54 pm  Reply with quote
mode-wataaaaa

You have a point! Mall core back to Suburbia...

Lemmy Kilmister wrote:
slatewoman
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:50 am  Reply with quote

I THINK DIG FROM EARACHE IS RIGHT...
ON TWITTER YEARS AGO...
"EVERY CRAP DJ IN NOTTINGHAM IS PLAYIN DUBSTEP"
LOL......... PRODIGY CAN GET AWAY WITH IT "ALMOST"
JUST ON "OMEN" I LOVE PRODIGY!!!! THE VOCALIST IS REALLY COOL SO IVE HEARD... REAL WITH HIS MOTORBIKE, ETC. ETC. *)
SMACK MY BITCH UP!!!!!!!!!

Bleed Dry Mankind
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:43 pm  Reply with quote
Sex. Violence. Whatever.

I haven't read the article yet but nu-metal has been dead for years. Sure Korn and Deftones are still around as well as a few other bands but metalcore/deathcore/screamo replaced nu-metal and now dubstep is replacing all that core/screamo bullshit. I'm happy to see that metalcore/screamo/whatever the fuck the kids are calling it these days fizzled out but I don't even pay attention to dubstep. I saw Korn back in march and crap dubstep dj called Sluggo opened up and it was the most boring thing I've ever sat thru. If dubstep were faster, or had more of a groove, then I might like it. But all it is is just the one beat with wubs. I'd like to hear some original dubstep sometime and compare. Funny that I have a shirt that says "I prefer their earlier work"
Sounds like I'll be saying that about a whole genre. Sad.
Body Dome Light
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:25 am  Reply with quote

Dude, who cares? Most people listen to shit. The difference between when nu metal reigned and now is that there was an actual music industry still around. It was just the beginning of Napster and all that shit. Seemed exciting actually. Now everything is in shambles. Fuck these kids. If you are eighteen years old or younger I feel sorry for you.

You are coming to age in a giant cesspool of shit. No good times, no good music, no cultural generational defining anything. Oh yeah, the new batman movie. Big deal.
golem
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:47 am  Reply with quote

i still have some faith in dubstep.

Link To The YouTube Page Containing The Above Video

joeki
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:39 pm  Reply with quote
Methuselah

Kahn's all right. The most talented producers are now in the Bristol area if you ask me.

Bleed Dry Mankind
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:57 pm  Reply with quote
Sex. Violence. Whatever.

Body Dome Light wrote:
Dude, who cares? Most people listen to shit. The difference between when nu metal reigned and now is that there was an actual music industry still around. It was just the beginning of Napster and all that shit. Seemed exciting actually. Now everything is in shambles. Fuck these kids. If you are eighteen years old or younger I feel sorry for you.

You are coming to age in a giant cesspool of shit. No good times, no good music, no cultural generational defining anything. Oh yeah, the new batman movie. Big deal.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. But do you think people from the 80's were saying this about the 90's? Or 70's to 80's? Sure there still was a music industry back then but I'm sure there's people that are jaded just like we are from older generations. But yeah, it's pretty bad now. I've been waiting for the "next Nirvana" to come and shake everything up. Not that I want a resurgence of Grunge or anything that sounds similar, but Nirvana did change the face of music and things need to change again. Sorry to anyone that might be a fan of The Black Keys but they aren't doing shit to change anything.
Body Dome Light
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:42 pm  Reply with quote

Bleed Dry Mankind wrote:
Body Dome Light wrote:

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. But do you think people from the 80's were saying this about the 90's? Or 70's to 80's? Sure there still was a music industry back then but I'm sure there's people that are jaded just like we are from older generations. But yeah, it's pretty bad now. I've been waiting for the "next Nirvana" to come and shake everything up. Not that I want a resurgence of Grunge or anything that sounds similar, but Nirvana did change the face of music and things need to change again. Sorry to anyone that might be a fan of The Black Keys but they aren't doing shit to change anything.

I think it is important to put Nirvana into a more proper context. They were products of their time, yes, but a band like that didn't change things based upon the merit of their art alone. It was like the floodgates were just ready to be burst open upon the scene, and that one band from Seattle which seemed marginal at best were the best crossover ones to do it. I think that it would have happened anyhow had it not been for Nirvana. The mainstream at that time was more susceptible to underground things seeping up to the surface. That simply isn't the case nowadays, as the bottom line is to go for the easy sell.

I do feel sorry for kids nowadays, because we live in such a narcissistic culture. Maybe that has always been the case, but it seems like it is more so nowadays as the rest of the world falls apart at the seams. People are deluded and deluding themselves while Rome burns. You've heard it all before, but yeah we are seriously stagnate and need a revolution... in everything.

Of course, I am remembering the good old days with the rose tinted glasses like everyone else, but considering how uncomplicated life seemed then I do yearn to go back to that state. And I could. I could turn off the machine. It is my own laziness and complicity that is at fault here.

As for what's going on in music nowadays, I really don't care. I know what's going on for me, but it feels more like being a hardcore hobbiest of esoteric things. It is just so marginal to me now, and it kind of sucks feeling so out of sync with the rest of the world because of it, like the nerd who builds model kits by himself late at night. It just seems so trivial, and I know art isn't, but these are the times that we are living in it seems.
brokentiny
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:33 am  Reply with quote

Body Dome Light wrote:

Of course, I am remembering the good old days with the rose tinted glasses like everyone else, but considering how uncomplicated life seemed then I do yearn to go back to that state. And I could. I could turn off the machine. It is my own laziness and complicity that is at fault here.

As you pointed out BDL nostalgia for 'when things were better' is pretty relative. When you think back to when the times were much more uncomplicated, I was already in a bleak state of mind, like it seems like you are now. This would have been similar for folks a generation earlier and so on through history. I get what you're saying in regards to narcissism and the weird state of the music industry. Nowadays though I look at the positives in culture, rather than the white noise of nonsense...I know it's there, but it need not feed you junk food.

elrrek
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:21 am  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

Nirvana and their "cultural impact" are - IMHO - overrated.

avocado diaboli wrote:
I fully suppotz this decision simply because beard.
avocado diaboli
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:51 am  Reply with quote
Darth Tedious

elrrek wrote:

Hm, depends on how you define "cultural impact". Musically they did nothing "new". Their influences are quite obvious and the whole grunge thing was a retro counterculture to the polished (US-) stadium rock dominant in the 80s.

But I always felt that both Nirvana and Metallica were the first bands that made "heavy" rock music really, really popular in mainstream culture. And with that I mean a traditional "metal" setup with git./ba./dr./vox with no keyboards or ballads.

After "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Enter Sandman" it was ok to wear torn or black clothing. Nobody looked at you like a total weirdo when you a had a band logo somewhere on your clothing or backpack. And playing electrical guitar was not turning you into a heroin addict instantly.

I'm not saying that metal bands before that didn't actually sell millions of records or made big money. But the general acceptance of "heavy metal" culture came with Nirvana and Metallica.

I remember that me and my mates at school suddenly weren't freaks anymore practically from one day to the other.

That is of course a subjective prespective based on my own experiences here in Germany.

Also, I am bored at work which is the only reason I came up with such a langthy post that has nothing to do with dubstep.

www.lusca.de
http://lusca.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/luscaofficial
Kodiak
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:23 pm  Reply with quote
Master of Bear Fu

Weighing in as a lifer (so far) in Seattle, Nirvana really was lightning in a bottle. Nevermind lit a fire under the ass of mainstream music and lit a fire under my ass to pick up the guitar and start making music, which has made life since then more bearable.

However, they certainly weren't the best Seattle band at the time. Depending on your preference, that honor would go to Alice in Chains or Soundgarden. Facelift-era and Badmotorfinger-era, specifically.

Those two albums really captured Seattle at the time, which was a place that was rough around the edges and wildly creative at heart (sounds like how I'd describe myself). I still listen to those albums because that is the Seattle I choose to remember, and that Seattle is long fucking dead.

I take heart in that some of those albums (Badmotorfinger and Earth 2 by Earth) were recorded less than a mile from where I live and that studio is still up and running, so at least there are a few landmarks left in this city of homogenized sterility that contain evidence of better times past.

Whoa - nothin' like a rant first thing in the morning. The coffee still needs to do its job. Razz

doomride
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:46 pm  Reply with quote
Lord Marcus Ironfist teh Twonk-bane

I've got one word for you:

TAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

golem
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

avocado diaboli wrote:
elrrek wrote:

Hm, depends on how you define "cultural impact". Musically they did nothing "new". Their influences are quite obvious and the whole grunge thing was a retro counterculture to the polished (US-) stadium rock dominant in the 80s.

But I always felt that both Nirvana and Metallica were the first bands that made "heavy" rock music really, really popular in mainstream culture. And with that I mean a traditional "metal" setup with git./ba./dr./vox with no keyboards or ballads.

After "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Enter Sandman" it was ok to wear torn or black clothing. Nobody looked at you like a total weirdo when you a had a band logo somewhere on your clothing or backpack. And playing electrical guitar was not turning you into a heroin addict instantly.

I'm not saying that metal bands before that didn't actually sell millions of records or made big money. But the general acceptance of "heavy metal" culture came with Nirvana and Metallica.

I remember that me and my mates at school suddenly weren't freaks anymore practically from one day to the other.

That is of course a subjective prespective based on my own experiences here in Germany.

Also, I am bored at work which is the only reason I came up with such a langthy post that has nothing to do with dubstep.

nice!

elrrek
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:39 pm  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

That's exactly what I am saying about Nirvana! Metallica's "Black Album" has out sold Nirvana pretty much everywhere but because they are "metal" and Nirvana are not "metal" - which to be honest, they pretty much are - Metallica's cultural relevance is demoted to "not as important as Nirvana".

I am going to stop now I have decided. This is a losing battle.

avocado diaboli wrote:
I fully suppotz this decision simply because beard.
fnm500
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:26 pm  Reply with quote

Golem- thanks for the heads up on Kahn, mate. Sick tune.

Joeki- who else would you recommend from the Bristol scene?

Thanks chaps