AVALANCHERS Forum Index

Author Message
<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  RIP Jeff HannemanReply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
golem
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:12 pm  Reply with quote
Member


Joined: 10 Sep 2006
Posts: 11897
Location: istanbul

Quote:
Slayer is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning near his Southern California home. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed.

Our Brother Jeff Hanneman, May He Rest In Peace (1964 - 2013)

_________________
https://m4nm.bandcamp.com/album/live-kargart-vom-portal-3
https://zeleia.bandcamp.com/album/theres-nothing
http://soundcloud.com/psycho-mantis-2
www.myspace.com/proudpilot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JMA689
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:13 pm  Reply with quote
mode-wataaaaa


Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 6823

damn... that's shocking... Sad RIP

_________________
2FRAIL
Avalanche on Play

Lemmy Kilmister wrote:
'In my life so far, I have discovered that there are really only two kinds of people: those who are for you, and those who are against you. Learn to recognize them, for they are often and easily mistaken for each other.'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sash73
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:15 pm  Reply with quote
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2011
Posts: 542

Holy fuck ! Just heard. Sad news indeed !

_________________
Putain de faiblesse... vous savez qui vous êtes...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Josh
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:43 pm  Reply with quote
Owt and Abowt


Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 3882
Location: WHEREFORE ART THOU BABYFACE?

Wow. I don't know what to say. Glad I got to see the original line-up perform Seasons In The Abyss a few years ago, it was magnificent. He will be missed. R.I.P., dude.

Slayer was the first evil metal band I ever listened to, forever ago when I put on South of Heaven for the first time. Sad

_________________
GOD PLEASE FUCK MY MIND FOR GOOD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
saxenhammer
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:32 pm  Reply with quote
Member


Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 1806
Location: Stirling

wow Sad

RIP

_________________
Take some Heroin you bearded twats
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blipseed
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:44 pm  Reply with quote
At least I have nice teeth?


Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 3832
Location: USSA

RIP

I was surprisingly affected by the news when I heard this morning, even though I knew next to nothing about him on a non-music level. Guess its because I've been listening to him pretty constantly for over 25 years. Sad news.

_________________
I am disabled by fears concerning which course to take.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bleed Dry Mankind
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:14 am  Reply with quote
Sex. Violence. Whatever.


Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 485
Location: East Bay Area, CA, USA

Sad loss. He was always better than Kerry King. He also wrote Tormentor, and that's my all time favorite Slayer song.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
tycho5
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:23 am  Reply with quote
Separated and Connected


Joined: 28 Jan 2007
Posts: 128
Location: Oakland, CA

Surprisingly upset by this... RIP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Elricj
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:43 am  Reply with quote
Burning Outside


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2421
Location: Oceania

=(


1/2 of Slayer either dead or kicked out. Getting old sucks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
desu evol yaw
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:23 am  Reply with quote
Swill collector


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 1796
Location: Cleaverland

i stopped listening to slayer a long time ago. but i listened to them a lot when i was 13. can't remember if they were good. must have liked the booze.


_________________
What's more fun.. Punching someone or being a pious soul?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:57 am  Reply with quote
Where am I?


Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 1849
Location: In the land of the silver fern

I thought it must have been alcohol related but it may be due to complications from a spider bite!

Quote:
A statement posted on the Slayer website said Hanneman spent a long period of time in hospital in 2011 recovering from a spider bite which left him with dead and dying tissue in his arm.

"As you know, Jeff was bitten by a spider more than a year ago, but what you may not have known was that for a couple of days after he went to the ER, things were touch-and-go," the statement said.

"There was talk that he might have to have his arm amputated, and we didn't know if he was going to pull through at all.

"He was in a medically-induced coma for a few days and had several operations to remove the dead and dying tissue from his arm. So, understand, he was in really, really bad shape.

"It's been about a year since he got out of the hospital, and since then, he had to learn to walk again, he's had several painful skin grafts."


http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-03/slayer-founder-jeff-hanneman-dies/4667246
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
desu evol yaw
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:59 am  Reply with quote
Swill collector


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 1796
Location: Cleaverland

yeah a spider bite, is that a shot?
look at that pic, he looks like boozy o'toole. (believe me i should know)

someone on a board i just went to said wow 49!!! he lived a long time!!

_________________
What's more fun.. Punching someone or being a pious soul?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
garlicwav
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:47 am  Reply with quote
Monster


Joined: 22 Dec 2008
Posts: 459
Location: France

This is a very shocking bad news.
Sounds like there will be a lot of Slayer played today.

_________________
http://garliclab.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/garliclab
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wilhelm_Stroker
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:36 am  Reply with quote
Member


Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 4078
Location: Reading, UK

sad news indeed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
avocado diaboli
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:20 am  Reply with quote
Darth Tedious


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 4018
Location: Nürnberg, Germany

Shit, that is crap news.

_________________
Life Is Easy
----------------------------------

www.lusca.de
http://lusca.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/luscaofficial
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dusk governor
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:11 pm  Reply with quote
Member


Joined: 31 Jan 2011
Posts: 170

RIP Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
klawful
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:37 pm  Reply with quote
Member


Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Posts: 7674

RIP

can only guess how many this guy inspired to pick up a guitar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blackmark
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:48 pm  Reply with quote
'Australian Minister for Avalanches'


Joined: 07 Sep 2006
Posts: 3708
Location: wales

had a shiver up my spine with this. saw them in 1990 for first time on clash of the titans tour over here. and on reflection Jeff wrote all the classics. riffmonger general, RIP

_________________
ノイズコア - you know it makes sense!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Savier
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:13 pm  Reply with quote
Member


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 1286
Location: Edinburgh

Damn. I had a Slayer related beard accident yesterday. Sad news.

_________________
https://bloodyfunnyclown.bandcamp.com/

http://soundcloud.com/greggd/

https://twitter.com/savier_uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
god of xnoybis
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:38 pm  Reply with quote
Member


Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Posts: 349
Location: the left coast of the US

I'm seemingly with a lot of people here and am surprisingly gutted by the news. I still remember the first time I heard slayer and didnt think it could get any more evil. That b/w video for war ensemble was just raw.

How is it that he's dead and uncle al is still alive?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slntwtchr
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:56 pm  Reply with quote
Wildcard, Bitches...


Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 861

Yeah - I guess I'm one of those people who is slightly shocked but I don't know why it matters. I haven't really cared about them or listened to anything new for probably 20 years.

That being said, they did blow my face off at the Clash of the Titans in '91 when I saw them. And then my friend had a free ticket and dragged me out to the pseudo Clash of the Titans 2011 and I have to admit they were still killing it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nothinger
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:23 pm  Reply with quote
Member


Joined: 27 Sep 2006
Posts: 1072
Location: Cracow, Poland

...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
timeless
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:29 pm  Reply with quote
Member


Joined: 10 Oct 2007
Posts: 894
Location: Liverpool,UK

Such a shame takes me back to my teenage years RIP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doomride
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:37 pm  Reply with quote
Lord Marcus Ironfist teh Twonk-bane


Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 13364
Location: Miami,Florida

I was at a concert last night and as the news spread about Hanneman people were bummed out and stunned...sad news...rip...

_________________
"Some people never go crazy.What truly horrible lives they must lead."
-Charles Bukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Josh
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:43 pm  Reply with quote
Owt and Abowt


Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 3882
Location: WHEREFORE ART THOU BABYFACE?

Judgment day, the second coming arrives... Before you see the light, YOU MUST DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_________________
GOD PLEASE FUCK MY MIND FOR GOOD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
avocado diaboli
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:22 pm  Reply with quote
Darth Tedious


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 4018
Location: Nürnberg, Germany

Even after a day I am suprisingly affected by this. I've never been the biggest Slayer fan in history and never cared much about their discography aside from "Reign...", "South..." and "Seasons...". I saw them deliver a few killer gigs and they are , well, Slayer. What else is there to say. One of the few bands that everybody I know seems to agree on.

I think this is just another milestone in the inevitable end of an era.

I've had a newfound love for the band since a particular event some years ago. While staying on a battlefield in France, after what is now known as the "flawed return of the flesh", we were sitting in a tiny cafe in Clisson the next morning, when when one of my close associates, whom I may only call "the austro-glaswegian twonk", lectured me at length over croissants and coffee about why Slayer are technically a free jazz band. That moment was just so surreal that the conversation stuck and it opened up a whole new approach to Slayer for me.

I supposed having a pissed of scotsman wave a french bread at your face while explaining guitar solos and drum patterns is one of the things that stick in your head.

_________________
Life Is Easy
----------------------------------

www.lusca.de
http://lusca.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/luscaofficial
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Josh
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:39 pm  Reply with quote
Owt and Abowt


Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 3882
Location: WHEREFORE ART THOU BABYFACE?

avocado diaboli wrote:
Even after a day I am suprisingly affected by this. I've never been the biggest Slayer fan in history and never cared much about their discography aside from "Reign...", "South..." and "Seasons...". I saw them deliver a few killer gigs and they are , well, Slayer. What else is there to say. One of the few bands that everybody I know seems to agree on.

I think this is just another milestone in the inevitable end of an era.

I've had a newfound love for the band since a particular event some years ago. While staying on a battlefield in France, after what is now known as the "flawed return of the flesh", we were sitting in a tiny cafe in Clisson the next morning, when when one of my close associates, whom I may only call "the austro-glaswegian twonk", lectured me at length over croissants and coffee about why Slayer are technically a free jazz band. That moment was just so surreal that the conversation stuck and it opened up a whole new approach to Slayer for me.

I supposed having a pissed of scotsman wave a french bread at your face while explaining guitar solos and drum patterns is one of the things that stick in your head.


I only ever cared about those 3 albums myself, HOWEVER, there's no question that Slayer totally destroyed my brain starting at 14 years of age back in '88 and they were the first real metal band I think I listened to... Not to mention that I would see them every time they played my town (up until a few years ago) and they toured constantly, so I think I've seen them more than any other band, and certainly more than any other band who achieved that level of fame.

It's been amazing witnessing the torrent of emotion on FB that Jeff's death has caused amongst my friends. Metalheads, it would seem, are sentimental folk.

_________________
GOD PLEASE FUCK MY MIND FOR GOOD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doomride
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:59 pm  Reply with quote
Lord Marcus Ironfist teh Twonk-bane


Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 13364
Location: Miami,Florida

Josh wrote:
avocado diaboli wrote:
Even after a day I am suprisingly affected by this. I've never been the biggest Slayer fan in history and never cared much about their discography aside from "Reign...", "South..." and "Seasons...". I saw them deliver a few killer gigs and they are , well, Slayer. What else is there to say. One of the few bands that everybody I know seems to agree on.

I think this is just another milestone in the inevitable end of an era.

I've had a newfound love for the band since a particular event some years ago. While staying on a battlefield in France, after what is now known as the "flawed return of the flesh", we were sitting in a tiny cafe in Clisson the next morning, when when one of my close associates, whom I may only call "the austro-glaswegian twonk", lectured me at length over croissants and coffee about why Slayer are technically a free jazz band. That moment was just so surreal that the conversation stuck and it opened up a whole new approach to Slayer for me.

I supposed having a pissed of scotsman wave a french bread at your face while explaining guitar solos and drum patterns is one of the things that stick in your head.


I only ever cared about those 3 albums myself, HOWEVER, there's no question that Slayer totally destroyed my brain starting at 14 years of age back in '88 and they were the first real metal band I think I listened to... Not to mention that I would see them every time they played my town (up until a few years ago) and they toured constantly, so I think I've seen them more than any other band, and certainly more than any other band who achieved that level of fame.

It's been amazing witnessing the torrent of emotion on FB that Jeff's death has caused amongst my friends. Metalheads, it would seem, are sentimental folk.



Those are the 3 albums that will really matter to me...all though I must say there is a fun naivete to Hell Awaits...especially if you are a fan of the movie Rivers Edge...

_________________
"Some people never go crazy.What truly horrible lives they must lead."
-Charles Bukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blipseed
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:54 pm  Reply with quote
At least I have nice teeth?


Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 3832
Location: USSA

I would claim "Hell", "Reign" and "South" rather than "Reign", "South" and "Seasons" as my unholy trinity, but I like everything up to and including Seasons. They did get a bit thrash by numbers after that, and there's probably a few albums I haven't even heard to this day. I still think Hell Awaits is probably the greatest thrash/speed metal song of all time.

_________________
I am disabled by fears concerning which course to take.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
desu evol yaw
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:12 pm  Reply with quote
Swill collector


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 1796
Location: Cleaverland

just listen to scum and feto, then hear how slow and kind of silly and wimpy slayer is.

_________________
What's more fun.. Punching someone or being a pious soul?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
elrrek
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:35 pm  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ


Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 6891
Location: We have always here.

I've been on a holiday for a few days so not planted in front of a computer as I am normally so having received the news I've had to get on with stuff out in the wilds and such.

This news has of course beensad but not affected me as much as others (Johnny Morrow from Iron Monkey and John Peel). I also believe that as JH hasn't been active in Slayer for the past few years that has softend the impact for me.

What concerns me now is, whether the rest of the band are going to fuck up his memory.

Carrying on with 1/2 the band is not how to resprct a legacy. If I was Tom Araya I would be sitting Kerry King down right now, handig him a phone and saying 'call Lombardo, fix this and then the three of us decide what to do'.

Hanneman deserves that level of respect. His writing and guitar playing are owed an incredible debt from metal (and jazz Wink ). I hope he gets it.

_________________
TWONKENHANMMER - The Birth of Hammer Twonk
MONOTREMATA wrote:
NAAAAAAAAAANG-SHARK!

avocado diaboli wrote:
I fully suppotz this decision simply because beard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maurice
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:32 am  Reply with quote
A bit of a trotter, a bit of a rotter


Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 446
Location: Tatooine or Hoth. One or the other no inbetween

RIP, Mr. Hanneman.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bleed Dry Mankind
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:24 am  Reply with quote
Sex. Violence. Whatever.


Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 485
Location: East Bay Area, CA, USA

doomride wrote:
all though I must say there is a fun naivete to Hell Awaits...especially if you are a fan of the movie Rivers Edge...


There wasn't any songs from that album in River's Edge. Captor Of Sin plays when Crispin Glover was pulling up to Keanu's house. Then Evil Has No Boundaries plays as they're riding in the car. Tormentor is played a couple times during the movie, and Glover falls asleep behind the wheel in the middle of Die By The Sword.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
doomride
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:34 pm  Reply with quote
Lord Marcus Ironfist teh Twonk-bane


Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 13364
Location: Miami,Florida

Bleed Dry Mankind wrote:
doomride wrote:
all though I must say there is a fun naivete to Hell Awaits...especially if you are a fan of the movie Rivers Edge...


There wasn't any songs from that album in River's Edge. Captor Of Sin plays when Crispin Glover was pulling up to Keanu's house. Then Evil Has No Boundaries plays as they're riding in the car. Tormentor is played a couple times during the movie, and Glover falls asleep behind the wheel in the middle of Die By The Sword.



Oh shit you are right...wow for some reason I had it in my head there were songs from Hell Awaits...is there another flick with Hell Awaits songs?

_________________
"Some people never go crazy.What truly horrible lives they must lead."
-Charles Bukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bleed Dry Mankind
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:55 pm  Reply with quote
Sex. Violence. Whatever.


Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 485
Location: East Bay Area, CA, USA

doomride wrote:
Bleed Dry Mankind wrote:
doomride wrote:
all though I must say there is a fun naivete to Hell Awaits...especially if you are a fan of the movie Rivers Edge...


There wasn't any songs from that album in River's Edge. Captor Of Sin plays when Crispin Glover was pulling up to Keanu's house. Then Evil Has No Boundaries plays as they're riding in the car. Tormentor is played a couple times during the movie, and Glover falls asleep behind the wheel in the middle of Die By The Sword.



Oh shit you are right...wow for some reason I had it in my head there were songs from Hell Awaits...is there another flick with Hell Awaits songs?


No idea, though I'm wondering in River's Edge who does that first song after the kid spots the dead body and him and John go to Feck's house.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
doomride
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:51 pm  Reply with quote
Lord Marcus Ironfist teh Twonk-bane


Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 13364
Location: Miami,Florida

I'm trying to remember...I know that Fates Warning has a song on there...

_________________
"Some people never go crazy.What truly horrible lives they must lead."
-Charles Bukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bondee
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:32 pm  Reply with quote
Hmmmm?


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 862
Location: Turd-upon-Thames

I listened to the entire Slayer back catalogue at work on Friday as my own little tribute.

I read on Twitter that Nails were playing a Slayer riff before each song during their gig that evening.

And you've got to admit, necrotizing fasciitis caused by a spider bite is an appropriate (albeit unfortunate) way for a member of a band called Slayer to go.

RIP Jeff.

_________________
“I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
- Kurt Vonnegut (1922-2007)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fourthly
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:53 pm  Reply with quote
Portia's #1 Fan!


Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 85
Location: U.S.A

desu evol yaw wrote:
just listen to scum and feto, then hear how slow and kind of silly and wimpy slayer is.


While I do enjoy early Slayer and was saddened by Jeff's passing, I have to laugh and agree with this. Early ND and the old school Earache scene in general made the speed metallers sound like the Pet Shop Boys by comparison.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bleed Dry Mankind
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:31 pm  Reply with quote
Sex. Violence. Whatever.


Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 485
Location: East Bay Area, CA, USA

FOUND IT


Link To The YouTube Page Containing The Above Video
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Body Dome Light
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:22 am  Reply with quote
Member


Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 1220

i saw slayer live in 2004 and it was one of the most brutal and physically exhausting shows i have ever seen.

i always thought slayer >>>>>>>>>>>> most speed metal. the only other band i saw that slayed slayer were the haunted for one kill wonder in 2003.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
AVALANCHERS Forum Index  ~  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board

Post new topic  Reply to topic



Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB and Ad Infinitum v1.06