www.avalanchers.co.uk Forum Index

<  Avalanchers Discussion Board  ~  DeafheavenReply to topic  ~  {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
decalaced
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:58 pm  Reply with quote

Just reading all the positive reviews on twitter following their show tonight.
I know they're one of the most devisive metal bands of recent years and I kinda agree with the negative side.
Just sounds like hipsters playing a hipster version of black metal to me.
Am I missing something?
bleorg
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:47 am  Reply with quote
Uhuhuhuhhh....he said Member

I went to see Pallbearer open for these guys. For some reason I stayed and watched the whole Deafheaven set. Though I don't know why.
zerosignel
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:10 am  Reply with quote
Invocation (Of The Whore Bitch Goddess Babylon)

I really like them and what they do. Live i think they have a passion and intensity that is missing from a lot of music/bands these days. Plus the fact they tour their arses off which is respectable. And personally i'd have their music any day over the current output of most of the "actual" black metal bands. It's good to see a new twist on an old formula.

Obviously i can understand why people wouldn't like what they do and certainly agree on some of the points, But i think that's as much to do with the guy from liturgy's rambling pretentious "black metal manifesto" that got under a lot of peoples skin than anything else.

avocado diaboli
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:54 am  Reply with quote
Darth Tedious

Gave the Album a couple of spins because a lot of People whose opnion I value were very impressed by them. Unfortunately it didn't do anything fo me.

www.lusca.de
http://lusca.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/luscaofficial
decalaced
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:36 am  Reply with quote

Listening to the album again while working.
The mix of indie chords and screamo vox is odd but once I tune the vocals out it's pretty good.
I quite like the sense of disgust they've created among black metal purists.
zerosignel
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

Which album are you listening to roads to judah or sunbather? I think the sheer balls of calling a black metal album sunbather and having a pink cover is hilarious, certainly a good way to tell detractors they couldn't care less.

I think in regards to the sound the higher tuning than most other bands of the genre make it distinct. in many ways its like a cleaner shoegaze took to its most extreme with the strumming.

JMA689
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:50 pm  Reply with quote
mode-wataaaaa

I like Sunbather. You have to get into it without any label in mind. It's not a black metal record, it's not a shoegaze record. But they have a good thing going on. Curious to see what their next record will sound like.

Lemmy Kilmister wrote:
'In my life so far, I have discovered that there are really only two kinds of people: those who are for you, and those who are against you. Learn to recognize them, for they are often and easily mistaken for each other.'
timeless
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

Saw them with Chelsea Wolfe on saturday I stayed for one song and then left.
kungfusocks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

I don't post my opinions on bands on here so much, but, I like them, no matter what "tag" they have.
Roads to Judah is better than Sunbather in my opinion, but I have been listening to both plus the demo off and on all week.

I think they played a show with bosse-de-nage late last year in Cali. That would have been a killer show.

decalaced
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:32 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I listened to both today with an open mind and kinda enjoyed it.
Something about the mash-up of styles and those screamo vox still wierds me out and I don't reckon I'll listen to much again but it's decent stuff if a little one dimensional.

Maybe I've finally hit a band that the kids like that just pisses an old guy like me off Smile
But I think what set me against them was loads of local journos with seriously dodgy taste in music writing about them like they're the second coming.

I do love the controversy though!
zerosignel
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:16 pm  Reply with quote

If any of you guys get the time please check out Altar of plagues and fen. both bands not a million miles away from deafheaven, both pretty good bands (saying that i do like a lot of stuff most guys here hate)

I think sunbather was a grower for me, i listened to roads quite frequently over the last few years and the first half of it especially i really like. Sunbather took longer to get into but i found the songs just as rewarding.
did you know they done a split with bosse de nage?

Having seen them a bunch since they first toured here it has been interesting to see them grow as a band live. Obviously there was the lineup changes, but the way George commands the stage now is worlds away from his "jaz colman" like freaky stare out of everyone in the crowd. And obviously it has been great to see the fan base expand as well.

decalaced
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:26 pm  Reply with quote

Altar Of Plagues were incredible. Exceptional growth from album to album and quit when they released their best album and arguably one of the best extreme albums of the last few years.
Haven't heard Fen. Will check them.

I reckon the closet thing I can equate to Deafheaven is Pyramids - well the first album, haven't heard anything since. Although they're more radiohead meets black metal than shoegaze.
kungfusocks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:28 pm  Reply with quote

zerosignel wrote:
If any of you guys get the time please check out Altar of plagues and fen. both bands not a million miles away from deafheaven, both pretty good bands (saying that i do like a lot of stuff most guys here hate)

I think sunbather was a grower for me, i listened to roads quite frequently over the last few years and the first half of it especially i really like. Sunbather took longer to get into but i found the songs just as rewarding.
did you know they done a split with bosse de nage?

Having seen them a bunch since they first toured here it has been interesting to see them grow as a band live. Obviously there was the lineup changes, but the way George commands the stage now is worlds away from his "jaz colman" like freaky stare out of everyone in the crowd. And obviously it has been great to see the fan base expand as well.

I know of the split. It was really good. Can't remember if I bought the vinyl or not though.

golem
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:12 am  Reply with quote

Sunbather is a great album. would love to see them live. and i am sure they can't be as hispster as Liturgy!

JMA689
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:59 pm  Reply with quote
mode-wataaaaa

golem wrote:
Sunbather is a great album. would love to see them live. and i am sure they can't be as hispster as Liturgy!

I've seen Liturgy a couple of years ago in Brooklyn and they were using a drum machine, they didn't have a drummer. And man, they sucked. Rolling Eyes

Lemmy Kilmister wrote:
'In my life so far, I have discovered that there are really only two kinds of people: those who are for you, and those who are against you. Learn to recognize them, for they are often and easily mistaken for each other.'
golem
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:41 am  Reply with quote

ah fuck that shit!

zerosignel
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:56 am  Reply with quote

Liturgy used to have a drummer, And IMO he was pretty sick at his job too, however when i got to see the band it was with the aforementioned drum machine (hellfest 2012) I can see what they are going for with the more mesmerizing elements and repetitive rhythms, but Christ the singer just ticks all the boxes on why so called "hipsters" get all the bad attention they do.

Back on topic though, Deafheaven have released a new studio song via adult swim. They have been playing this on all dates of the recent tour so check it out guys.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/08/22/lets-argue-new-deafheaven-song/