AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  How to play Slateman ‘middle eight’Reply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
tomb
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:24 am  Reply with quote

Hey Avalanchers,

Has anybody ever (properly) worked out what Justin is playing on the middle section of Slateman (after the ‘chuggy’ bit)? Pretty sure Paul would have done the wailing guitar over the top whilst Justin did the riff beneath...

Iirc (from live and videos) it’s something around the 12th fret but I’ve been trying to figure it out for about 25 years on and off and don’t think I’ve ever got it right...

any ideas?
Monotremata
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:40 pm  Reply with quote
bent on world D.A.R.mination!

Sort of. Its an E b5 power chord to some weird D4(?) to Dmaj thing I think, the last two notes are harmonics at the 12th fret. I learned something that passes for it but in a completely different position before I saw how he plays it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
tomb
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:01 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Mono... I will give that a go!
tomb
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:52 am  Reply with quote

Another question... do you think the final chord on the intro riff is just an A power chord at the 4th fret? With or without the open E string (tuned to c# of course)?

On the original it sounds like there’s a dissonance in there that I’m just not quite hearing when I do it my way...

Think I’m going to try to work out Wound 91 properly next too... what an amazing 7inch that is!
Monotremata
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:28 pm  Reply with quote
bent on world D.A.R.mination!

If you're talking about the very last notes before it repeats, its not an A chord at all. My guitars are buried in the closet at the moment and Im not about to move everything to get to them but.. If I remember it correctly its the C# on the 4th fret of the A string with the open D string ringing with it, the very last note he bends is just a G. A lot of Justin's "dissonant" parts are the 4th fret (or the 6th fret) with the open string underneath it so its a half step interval playing at the same time. The main riff for Dream Long Dead is the same way, the entire droning riff throughout Love Is A Dog From Hell, parts of Xnoybis, the intro to Bigot, etc.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number