AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  Peaceviile lifeReply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
saxenhammer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peaceville-Life-Paul-Hammy-Halmshaw-ebook/dp/B01N5F48VK

Paul 'Hammy' Halmshaw founded Peaceville Records in 1987, following several years as a tape trading label. As one time drummer of the Instigators and Sore Throat, and singer of Civilised Society? he has appeared on seven albums and one EP. This early experience served him well in launching the label, which was to become a worldwide success. It spawned the careers of some of the biggest bands in metal, punk and hardcore. Electro Hippies, Doom, Deviated Instinct, Axegrinder, Autopsy, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Darkthrone, Opeth and Katatonia to name but a few.
Based in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, the label was an anomaly in the history of heavy music. It was shrouded in secrecy and a thick cloud of smoke. For the first time ever, in conjunction with the labels 30th anniversary, Hammy recounts the full history of the inception of the label. Taking the reader through its heyday to the point where he departed. It's a gripping tale which keeps you hooked from beginning to end. Laying bare all the twists and turns along the way. It also features candid interviews with all of the major players behind the scenes and the successes

Almost finished this. An enjoyable read and definitely of interest to a few heads here πŸ˜ƒ

blackmark
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:42 am  Reply with quote
'Australian Minister for Avalanches'

i've been tempted seeing as they were seminal in UK extremity in my formative years, but my judgement still a bit slanted by Doom's "Fuck Peaceville". does he redeem himself somewhat in this?

saxenhammer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

He mentions it and the doom guys talk about it. For me, its an interesting read anyway because the label was a big deal for me early on. Good to get some background to it allπŸ˜ƒ

doomride
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:08 pm  Reply with quote
Lord Marcus Ironfist teh Twonk-bane

Kindle price- 6.66

JMA689
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:49 pm  Reply with quote
mode-wataaaaa

That sounds like a nice written history of this label... Maybe a bit biased since it was written by its founder but still.
I think the first 2 albums I got that were on Peaceville were a record by the Electro Hippies and Paradise Lost's 'Gothic'.
Also, the first Pitchshifter was on this label as well if my mind serves me well. So quite an ecclectic mix.

Lemmy Kilmister wrote:
'In my life so far, I have discovered that there are really only two kinds of people: those who are for you, and those who are against you. Learn to recognize them, for they are often and easily mistaken for each other.'
klawful
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

thanks for the heads-up. went in for the ebook--really dug it.

great look behind the curtain--made me a bit nostalgic as well of those days just discovering the early PL, Autopsy and DI releases.
blackmark
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

JMA689 wrote:
That sounds like a nice written history of this label... Maybe a bit biased since it was written by its founder but still.
I think the first 2 albums I got that were on Peaceville were a record by the Electro Hippies and Paradise Lost's 'Gothic'.
Also, the first Pitchshifter was on this label as well if my mind serves me well. So quite an ecclectic mix.

Industrial was on the "Deaf" imprint, and they also did the "Dreamtime" with ggfh/kong/etc, all the trippy shit Wink

blackmark
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

used to love that they'd send out the free "vile vibes" sampler cassettes every now and again. still got them