AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Reviews Board  ~  High On Fire - Death Is This CommunionReply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
elrrek
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:00 pm  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

I've had the new HoF record "Death Is This Communion" since it came out about a week or 2 ago s here's a few words on it.

My history with High On Fire doesn't actually go that far back, I actually only have the most recent record, "Blessed Black Wings" and a couple of shows on DVD, one from just before "Blessed Black Wings" and one from the "Contaminated" festival. The earlier stuff I have never got around to picking up, but I do have "Sleeps Holy Mountain" and "Dopesmoker" - don't ask me what version, I have no idea.

On initial listening I was somewhat underwhelmed b the new record. There was something too clean abut it and Matt Pike appears to have done something different with his voice. I tuck it out for a couple of listens and then thought, "nope, this is not as good as Blesed Black Wings" and dug out that album. That's when the change stared to kick in. "Blessed Black Wings" is not as well recorded as "Death..." in my opinion, the sound is more muddy, it's not as ferocious and I have come to the conclusion that Pikes vocals are in fact being hampered by the last records sound and this one is better.

The real change in my opinion about this record came though when I watched the DVD that comes with the "Deluxe Edition" They say deluxe but it's really just 2 different cuttings of footage shot by one guy who came into the studio a few times, one of the films I had already seen on the internet. Watching the DVDs is become more apparent how much these guys are actually into it. Matt Pike is a lifer, their new bass player Jeff Matz has also been in some serious heavy weight bands and their drummer is a power house of a guy who I thought was good but didn't realise how good until I really started listening to this record. There is no pretension about them, they just want to do as much with their music for as long as they can and get it the best platform

As for the music, it sticks to the HoF formula of being seriously bruising and loud and I'm sad I missed them when they were in Glasgow recently. The drums are huge, the bass guitar is very, very meaty and considering that Joe Preston played on the last record I think that's considerably note worthy.

Matt Pike's guitar work is really quite something. He's got the whole super-chug doom-riff thing down to a tee, his chording and arrangements is often inspired and his solo's are really really good. On this record he has been playing a 9 string guitar which essentially is a hybrid of a 12 string and a 6 string, the treble strings a doubled up with a second string an octave higher resulting in a much fuller sound. Now, consider that the man plays lightening fast runs during his solo's which are to my mind mostly comparable to the guys in Slayer and his guitar is likely to be tuned down a few notes, the strength and stamina you require to play like that is formidable indeed.

Standout songs include the title track which is a Cthulhu inspired mid paced crusher, "Turk" which is class if HoF riff assault and has an amazing chorus, "Rumours of War" which has a stellar vocal delivery form Pike and "Ethereal" which I reckon should have closed the album in stead of "Return To Nod" which is not quite as epic.

Good solid stuff and a fine example of how "metal" can still be dumb as fuck and also pretty damn cerebral if you want to actually have a think about it as well.

avocado diaboli wrote:
I fully suppotz this decision simply because beard.
joeki
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:52 pm  Reply with quote
Methuselah

I haven't checked this one out yet , but how does it sound compared to the new Baroness release becouse I don't regret buying that. Which one is better? Is it similar? Anyone?
elrrek
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:32 pm  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

I've not got the new Baroness, to be honest, after getting the Eps, thinking they were pretty damned good and then seeing them get blown away by Torche when they were last in Glasgow, I'm not that bothered abut the new Baroness ...

avocado diaboli wrote:
I fully suppotz this decision simply because beard.
blackmark
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:19 pm  Reply with quote
'Australian Minister for Avalanches'

i was immediately struck by how lemmyish his vocals sound on this new one. having seen them live previously (when joe preston was with them) and been very impressed with the sheer thundering relentlessness of the onslaught the slayer/motorhead mix seemed the best description but it's gone up an extra notch. must be on the jack daniels and marlboro diet

I Don't Need God
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:43 pm  Reply with quote
Heretic

What Kerr said in his review. I've nothing to add. Album is FUCKING MOSTEROUS! Love it.