AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Reviews Board  ~  CloverfieldReply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
I Don't Need God
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:40 pm  Reply with quote
Heretic

Saw it last night and it was great. I'll not give anything away cause there's not much to give away. No explanations, no real back story (save for the little bit with the main characters), no proper conclusion, no soundtrack. You find out as the characters do. And pay attention to the very last shot in the movie of the ocean. Not a scary movie but incredibly tense. Seeing the head of the statue of liberty land in the middle of a street of downtown Manhattan was intense. So worth going to see.

carbon
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

im going to see this on friday, looking fwd to it. unfortunately ive read so many spoilers about it that actually going along to see the movie is now just a formality.

so what falls into the sea, is it an egg or a satellite?! its funny reading around on the net what people are making of this
I Don't Need God
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:50 pm  Reply with quote
Heretic

I've no idea what falls. There's a great scene on t'innarwebs somewhere of an oil rig in the atlantic getting destroyed. It was part of their whole viral marketing campaign and it's cool as fuck. It appears that that happens well before the movie.

carbon
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

i'll post an opinion on saturday. im planning on downing a yogurt of forest fruit and a ample amount of h@sh mixed into it about an hour beforehand. should kick in as the film is starting.

the sequel ideas look interesting too altho i hear empire say they'll take two stars off it if they go ahead with it..
Pete
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:06 pm  Reply with quote
Industrial music for industrial people

I absolutely loved it; and I *hate* most modern films. I actually had to take about an hour afterwards to 'wind down' cos it really shat me up. I just hope it stands up well to repeat viewings; but it really did give me a good bit of entertainment Very Happy

JMA689
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:16 pm  Reply with quote
mode-wataaaaa

Also, it's probably a movie you want to see in a movie theater, with a giant screen and loud volume, as it probably enhances the impact of some scene.
But yes, I thought it was a tense entertaining movie, and I didn't have much expectations prior to seeing it.

Lemmy Kilmister wrote:
'In my life so far, I have discovered that there are really only two kinds of people: those who are for you, and those who are against you. Learn to recognize them, for they are often and easily mistaken for each other.'
joeki
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:33 am  Reply with quote
Methuselah

allright : the movie does good what it intents to do : Bring the viewer in the midst of the chaos by using said technique of the camera. I felt the adrenaline flowing in a few scenes . Storywise, even though nothing is revealed in the end, i Liked it. Character developement : none. But what do you expect in a timespan a few hours and under those circumstances. I do think the characters took the loss of dear friends/family rather lightly Smile ....
But all in all, I was pretty satisfied.

My only point is : Would this movie have been made without it's "alternative" edge and just like any other big budget movie : how would this have ended up? I would have liked to see that.

carbon
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

i went to see the first showing of this film where i live last friday, thinking the film would be sold out i got the ticket earlier that day to avoid queuing and such - got to the cinema to find the place was less than half-full ... hmmm

as for the film - pretty good. i liked the idea of not seeing events unfold from the normal third angle but only through those caught up in it, i think they pulled it off quite well.
blackmark
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:58 pm  Reply with quote
'Australian Minister for Avalanches'

i agree wi joeki, without the "Video cam" aspect it would have been very generic plot wise

still, good tension and trauma, uncomfortable viewing at times, just what some wierdos (like me) enjoy!

completelygone
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah mon, that's a killer movie. The actual back story (which was not emphasized at all in the movie) is that the Cloverfield monster is actually an infant, just born. It does not know what is happining quite yet and is also a bit grumpy. Great movie/story and special effects.

bounce!
mind synthesis
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:37 pm  Reply with quote

thedistinctroom wrote:
Yeah mon, that's a killer movie. The actual back story (which was not emphasized at all in the movie) is that the Cloverfield monster is actually an infant, just born. It does not know what is happining quite yet and is also a bit grumpy. Great movie/story and special effects.

bounce!

i really don't think it was great at all. it was good...the splash at the end was it a satellite or the baby alien crashing into the water. i heard ppl said it was a satellite
golem
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

just watched this at home with mom Mr. Green really cant imagine how would it felt if we watched it at the theatre!! somehow the idea reminded me the blair witch movie, i think its because of the camera technique and stuff like that.

www.myspace.com/proudpilot
mind synthesis
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

golem wrote:
just watched this at home with mom Mr. Green really cant imagine how would it felt if we watched it at the theatre!! somehow the idea reminded me the blair witch movie, i think its because of the camera technique and stuff like that.

did you notice what happened in the last scene? if you didnt and still have the dvd watch again closely...it's a total trip
golem
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

well i looked again after readin your writings here but in my copy they kinnda died under the rocks after the bombings Embarassed

and i fuckin deleted the file (so yeah it wasnt a copy - just a file!!!)

arrgghhh

edit: i just called one of my movie freak friends and he told me that he got the dvd and told me the scene!! gonna watch that part again - and he told me that thing falls down 2 the ocean is the thing that wakes cloverfield.

www.myspace.com/proudpilot
mind synthesis
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

golem wrote:
well i looked again after readin your writings here but in my copy they kinnda died under the rocks after the bombings Embarassed

and i fuckin deleted the file (so yeah it wasnt a copy - just a file!!!)

arrgghhh

edit: i just called one of my movie freak friends and he told me that he got the dvd and told me the scene!! gonna watch that part again - and he told me that thing falls down 2 the ocean is the thing that wakes cloverfield.

that is cloverfield!!! well, from what i guess