AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  the killing of america (1982)Reply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
Body Dome Light
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:34 am  Reply with quote

everyone should seriously watch this film. it came out in 1982 and it was way ahead of its time. i like it because it's not only about gun control but about killing in general. too much is made of the whole gun debate. ted bundy didn't need a gun. i mean, some people are just born to kill, that's the way i look at it. still, we should have some type of regulations and more thorough background checks/mental health examinations before just randomly handing guns to people. i must admit that i have never fired a gun in my entire life nor do i ever want to own one. ironically, my family did own a couple, but they were inherited. besides, my dad used to work in a pretty bad neighborhood and had to carry one for protection.

anyway, here it is:

Link To The YouTube Page Containing The Above Video
Josh
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:14 pm  Reply with quote
Owt and Abowt

Saw that many years ago. Brutal, harrowing stuff but actually well-done by mondo standards. The interview with Ed Kemper is amazing.

Runabout120
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:25 pm  Reply with quote
---

Very interesting stuff, thanks. Haven't seen it yet.

Quote:
I am an American and I killed Americans, I am a human being and I killed human beings, and I did it in my society.

That's maybe the point in general...
Josh
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:04 am  Reply with quote
Owt and Abowt

Runabout120 wrote:

Quote:
I am an American and I killed Americans, I am a human being and I killed human beings, and I did it in my society.

Pitch Shifter.....

Body Dome Light
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:34 am  Reply with quote

Josh wrote:
Saw that many years ago. Brutal, harrowing stuff but actually well-done by mondo standards. The interview with Ed Kemper is amazing.

the part that is really unnerving to me is when they are talking about the serial killer lawrence bittaker and they show news footage of some of the jurors running out of the courtroom to vomit and you can hear the cassette tape of them torturing one of their victims playing in the background.

the whole documentary paints a really bleak picture of american society and just think about what you could add to it if you updated it from 1982.
Body Dome Light
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:43 am  Reply with quote

Runabout120 wrote:

Quote:

i remember the first time i heard that off of church of misery's masters of brutality and wondering where it came from. kemper was pretty messed up, but highly intelligent. genius level really.
Body Dome Light
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:51 am  Reply with quote

on the subject of serial murderers, i also heard that this film is pretty good and it just came out. i want to see it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1779076/

dahmer is a pretty interesting case. i can also recommend the movie with jeremy renner from 2002. it's not bad for that type of straight to dvd schlock. i think you can find it on netflix. it's surprisingly restrained when it comes to his crimes and delves more into the psychology of his character.
Runabout120
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:46 am  Reply with quote
---

If i were an American, i would probably lived in fear. It's depressing to know that almost every day people dying by gunshots everywhere. Not clearly know the country statistics, but when you here in Germany about gunshots in the news it mostly happen in the States. I think shootings in Germany are quite rare . (I know last year they were a few School shootings in the States) very sad.

The whole gun-situation in the USA is a real mess imo. They should ban generally guns for personal use.
Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:20 am  Reply with quote
Where am I?

I met an American girl last weekend who is out here for a while for study. She was saying how she is always worried that someone is going to pull a gun on her back home in America (apparently it's happened to friends of hers). She still has the same worries here in Australia, and she can't relax if walking the streets by herself even though it's an amazingly safe city here.

Crazy, I couldn't understand it and have no idea why people would want guns in there homes for 'protection'. For farming and hunting yes, but in urban areas... weird?!
Runabout120
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:44 am  Reply with quote
---

Quote:
Crazy, I couldn't understand it and have no idea why people would want guns in there homes for 'protection'. For farming and hunting yes, but in urban areas... weird?!

About the last school-shooting they interviewed a teacher on another school asked him about the disaster which occurred in this school where one teacher was shot to death too.

He said something like "If the teacher had a gun too he had maybe defend his life against the shooter"
That shocked me somehow, it sounds like "if i had a gun i would kill him!" I mean is that the alternative solution for all people in America??? Like in western-movies.
I'm sure lot of them think they are already dead without a gun at home because of the fear.
Body Dome Light
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:29 am  Reply with quote

Runabout120 wrote:
Quote:

About the last school-shooting they interviewed a teacher on another school asked him about the disaster which occurred in this school where one teacher was shot to death too.

He said something like "If the teacher had a gun too he had maybe defend his life against the shooter"
That shocked me somehow, it sounds like "if i had a gun i would kill him!" I mean is that the alternative solution for all people in America??? Like in western-movies.
I'm sure lot of them think they are already dead without a gun at home because of the fear.

yeah, a lot of people do think like that. there is also a lot of gun enthusiasts. it also varies on where you live. more rural areas have a proud culture of guns so to speak. i know that when i lived in the southwest for a year i was alarmed by the culture of guns, but then again it was the "wild west" so what do you want.

james holmes (the colorado shooter) bought all of his guns, ammunition, body armor, and so on legally. there's no question that we need to up the ante on gun control exactly because of people like him. however, will it happen? most likely not. that's just the reality of it. as much as i dislike mr. drone killing, assassination president obama i don't blame him for a lack of trying. it's just, most of this country cares ever so much about their precious second amendment rights to do anything about it!

does that mean that i think lax gun control is strictly the reason behind mass killings? i think it's a bit more complicated than that. there is also a obvious lack of mental health treatment, and we do not live in an exactly healthy society either with the distribution of wealth becoming ever more polarized. urban centers like south chicago and detroit saw their entire economy decimated (with the decline of america's manufacturing sector) and those jobs were replaced by drugs and gangs. you really can't ignore the economic reasons behind gun violence either. it really is a social disease as much as it's a personal mental health one.

but yeah, we really need to do something about it.
Body Dome Light
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:36 am  Reply with quote

Boyd and Fiends wrote:
I met an American girl last weekend who is out here for a while for study. She was saying how she is always worried that someone is going to pull a gun on her back home in America (apparently it's happened to friends of hers). She still has the same worries here in Australia, and she can't relax if walking the streets by herself even though it's an amazingly safe city here.

i am curious, where is she from (city, state?). how safe this country is depends a lot on where you are, but you are never truly safe. i can tell you that the denver metro area for the most part is really, really safe. however, colorado has become synonymous with mass shootings because of columbine and the dark knight shooting. still, if i had to i would rather live in colorado than detroit. i grew up near detroit and it really is a god awful shit hole. i think i will take my chances with the occasional nut.
Runabout120
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:16 am  Reply with quote
---

Absolutely agree with the fact of economic reasons.... true

I'm really scared about the globalised development. Everywhere, I realize more and more how much pain and suffering is in this world - the poor getting poorer and more desperate and the rich richer and fearful for their lives and wealth.

But here's my point: With the fact that easily more weapons are involved and around it just gets worse.... actually when people getting desperate and being emotionally or psychologically disturbed in different situations.
Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:30 am  Reply with quote
Where am I?

BDL - although I asked her at the time I can't remember where she was from... but I'll try and remember next time we meet.

I think what surprised me the most is she was the first American I have met who talked about this fear of personal safety, and that she couldn't get over it although she is currently in Australia.
Body Dome Light
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:57 am  Reply with quote

Runabout120 wrote:
Absolutely agree with the fact of economic reasons.... true

I'm really scared about the globalised development. Everywhere, I realize more and more how much pain and suffering is in this world - the poor getting poorer and more desperate and the rich richer and fearful for their lives and wealth.

But here's my point: With the fact that easily more weapons are involved and around it just gets worse.... actually when people getting desperate and being emotionally or psychologically disturbed in different situations.

when a society rots it rots from the inside out. most of the school shooters are from upper middle class, affluent families. most happen in decent, well to do communities, which is one of the reasons why we're always so shocked. this is america's brightest and best.

i think one of the problems is the glorification of these crimes by the mass media. like i said in my rant earlier, these shootings being glorified sends a message to other misguided people who feel that they are on the fringes of society that if they kill a lot of people they too will be important. like robert benjamin smith (who is mentioned briefly in the film) said, "i did it to get known." maybe that is the simplest explanation of all.

i think the sandy hook thing is a bit more complicated, though. although you can't excuse the kid's actions, the mother was also clearly misguided in the fact that she trained him to shoot and socially isolated him to the extent where he didn't even walk in the same hallways at his high school with his fellow peers. this created a caustic environment of paranoia and social isolation that i think contributed to what happened.
Body Dome Light
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:12 am  Reply with quote

Boyd and Fiends wrote:
BDL - although I asked her at the time I can't remember where she was from... but I'll try and remember next time we meet.

I think what surprised me the most is she was the first American I have met who talked about this fear of personal safety, and that she couldn't get over it although she is currently in Australia.

i think that we are brought up as a nation to be fearful and to distrust one another. i was always told, "don't talk to strangers." i mean, my parents had a reason to tell me that, but you understand how that type of social conditioning becomes ingrained into people at an early age. it also doesn't help that we are brought up on the news media peddling fear to people. every time there is a mass shooting or terrorist attack people's answers are to get armed to the teeth.
Fourthly
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:39 pm  Reply with quote
Portia's #1 Fan!

Runabout120 wrote:

Quote:
I am a human being and I killed human beings, and I did it in my society.

Pitch Shifter.....

Gorefest also used part of that sample.

I've heard about this documentary on a few forums but I haven't seen it yet. It's certainly on my list of docs to check out.

Last edited by Fourthly on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fourthly
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:43 pm  Reply with quote
Portia's #1 Fan!

Body Dome Light wrote:
Boyd and Fiends wrote:

i think that we are brought up as a nation to be fearful and to distrust one another. i was always told, "don't talk to strangers." i mean, my parents had a reason to tell me that, but you understand how that type of social conditioning becomes ingrained into people at an early age. it also doesn't help that we are brought up on the news media peddling fear to people. every time there is a mass shooting or terrorist attack people's answers are to get armed to the teeth.

I completely agree with you on this point. Americans are brought up to be scared of their own shadow. It is completely insane and illogical. I can understand being aware of your surroundings but taking it to such an extreme where you are scared of EVERYTHING and EVERYONE is just fucked.
Body Dome Light
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:43 am  Reply with quote

Fourthly wrote:
Body Dome Light wrote:
Boyd and Fiends wrote:

I completely agree with you on this point. Americans are brought up to be scared of their own shadow. It is completely insane and illogical. I can understand being aware of your surroundings but taking it to such an extreme where you are scared of EVERYTHING and EVERYONE is just fucked.

really the last couple of months i have been insanely reckless. just really stupid. i realize how many times people could have fucked me over completely, but it didn't happen. go figure.