AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  GODFLESH DETAIL FIRST ALBUM IN 13 YEARS, SHARE ‘NEW DARK AGEReply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
Mothra
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:37 am  Reply with quote
Board Sherlock

The EP+LP in cassette format, new t-shirt and hoodie designs, as well as Jesu 'Conqueror' remaster vinyl with exclusive t-shirt design..
http://hydrahead.merchtable.com/

my music/label / label #2 /jkb activities / jkb fan blog
AdamD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

This really hits the spot for me. It is classic Godflesh without sounding like a total retread. Looking forward to hearing these songs live.
PappaWas1975
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

AdamD wrote:
This really hits the spot for me. It is classic Godflesh without sounding like a total retread. Looking forward to hearing these songs live.

THIS.
Monotremata
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:28 pm  Reply with quote
bent on world D.A.R.mination!

PappaWas1975 wrote:
AdamD wrote:

THIS.

Yep.. Fuck the 'critics'.. Did we need 'forward'? Did we need 'evolution'? No we just needed Godflesh. Im just glad my favorite band is back and doing it proper on their own terms finally. More fucking power to the flesh, if anyone deserves it its them.

Time to go listen to this for the 12 millionth time now and see if I can get my Telecaster to tune that low hah.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sash73
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:56 pm  Reply with quote

Mothra wrote:
The EP+LP in cassette format, new t-shirt and hoodie designs, as well as Jesu 'Conqueror' remaster vinyl with exclusive t-shirt design..
http://hydrahead.merchtable.com/

I know he's "thinking" about it, but I hope the 'Conqueror' remaster
gets a digital release...

poetrykrowe
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

So, I've heard the regular version. Just got the Japanese edition in the mail. Live it. Every single track is just what i wanted. I hear elements from everything from Streetcleaner through SOLAH. Especially the dub tracks. Amazingly, crushingly, brutal. Honest. Right back o form and no punches pitched. This is Godflesh how i remember them and always lived them for. Can't wait to see it live and rejoice in their reunion.

klawful
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

good to see you here, PK!

been a good while...
Mr. James Nihil
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:17 pm  Reply with quote
Raging Fasler

Absolutely approve of every soul crushing note.

Tis' much proper nang.

kungfusocks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:26 pm  Reply with quote

I must be one of the only ones on here not to listen to the new album or the prior e.p. at all.

I downloaded Decline & Fall but have not touched the file.

Maybe in the future.......been too much into doom/stoner/sludge/black metal kick lately that anything Godflesh hasn't been played in months.

elrrek
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:46 pm  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

Selfless II.
The songs to me seem set up to absolutely destroy live, just the record is not live.
The production on the record is too dry for me.
It's good, there are some very cool songs on it.
That's about as far as I'm willing to go though.

avocado diaboli wrote:
I fully suppotz this decision simply because beard.
InDub
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:00 pm  Reply with quote

The vinyl sounds so friggin' good! Punchy and HUGE!
klawful
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

i've come around to it for sure. actually not long after writing here that it wasn't really for me--but i didn't want to embarrassingly post a flip-flop so shortly.

but yeah, since my initial listetning, pre-loaded with my personal wishes for it, I've just kept it in the rotation and found myself thinking it's pretty great.

certainly nowhere near my favorite work of theirs, but a monstrous album regardless.

Like Kerr said, I'd call it Selfless 2.
doomride
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:47 pm  Reply with quote
Lord Marcus Ironfist teh Twonk-bane

It's a grower fo sho....I love the fucking thing!!!! I'm not the most discerning of fans though...I love the entire GF catalog...

theredhog
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

I think it's a fine album, but can't for the life of me hear it as Selfless II. Just doesn't sound like it in any regard.
klawful
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

i suppose for me it would be the directness and cleanness of it.

but this is purely coming from how i perceived selfless upon first encountering it--comparing it to Pure--and feeling that the songs were good for the most part, but missing an element--again, for me--that made godflesh what they were. and this album reminds me of songs on selfless--the sound is very clear, lacking a "mush" that i liked, and the songs are fairly straight forward--atleast on the surface.

on a semi-related bit,

I never got the Pure sounding bad thing. Honestly--but I don't have a great ear for that stuff. if the songs are interesting, production, no matter how rough, means dick-all to me. like how a solid painting will look amazing even if reproduced in black and white, grainy, and a fraction of the original size. or a great drawing done in charcoal on paper will always be better than the most lustrous oil painting that has a weak foundational drawing.

although, in the opposite direction i'll start to notice if things get too polished. but even then i'm probably not as bothered as some by that.
theredhog
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

I just don't hear that clearness at all. Selfless is pristine (which is a great decision - IMO aside from Streetcleaner it's the finest example of the sound matching the songs). There's at least some grit in this new one to my ears.
Elricj
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:31 pm  Reply with quote
Burning Outside

Yeah, one of the reasons I like Selfless is because it's so clean sounding. I love noisy, fuzzy buzzy records and lo-fi punk as much as anyone, but it just fits the songs. I think Pure has great songs but the low end and the guitar separation is just mush to me.

I use this example often but the first Killing Joke LP was remastered on CD a few years ago and the difference is night and day, you can hear the keyboard, bass and guitar so much better than the original CD which sounded in a lot of cases like Pure does.

One of the most interesting GF live shows I heard was a Hampson era Pure show where Hampson is too goddamn loud in the mix, because I was able to figure out WTF he actually ADDED to Pure.
blipseed
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:54 pm  Reply with quote
At least I have nice teeth?

I thought I'd wait a while before saying anything to avoid the potential flip-flop. It's funny, to some degree or other I agree with the majority of comments made, be they good or bad.

I think it's definitely stand alone, which is great, it's forward thinking and not a rehash of what they might have thought the masses would like. I understand why they said it was a hearkening back to the old days, while stylistically nothing at all like Streetcleaner or Godflesh it has a similar uncompromising aesthetic, heavy, brutal and focussed. Like Klaw as a non musician production is not something that could make or break the album for me, but it is clean and the bass is huge. Nothing like the murky maelstrom of noise I love from the first two albums where even now, all these years later, upon concentrated listening I make out little noises or nuances I had never noticed before, but enjoyable all the same.

Another factor which hasn't been mentioned a lot is the "metalness" of it. Whereas previously I would always be tending to say Godflesh were never a metal band, surely this is as metal as they've been? What kind of metal I don't know, it still crawls along at GF pace but its as chugga-chugga as you get with GF. For that reason I can see why those coming from a more metal fan angle (which wouldn't include me) like it so much.

Overall I'm happy, it's an album I will definitely listen to ( and already probably have listened to it more than I ever did Selfless). There are definitely nods to other bands in there, I think they are pretty obvious so won't bother mentioning them which again isn't a bad thing. On the downside I think there are two or three pretty weak tracks which struggle to hold my attention for the duration, but still enough class to make it a good overall listen.

While I'm looking forward to seeing them play some oldies when I catch them in the new year there are a few on here I'm sure will kill in a live situation. And that's about until I flip flop in a few weeks and decide its worse than Selfless!!

Last edited by blipseed on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

theredhog
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:29 pm  Reply with quote

blipseed wrote:
...worse than Selfless!!

decalaced
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:49 pm  Reply with quote

blipseed wrote:

Another factor which hasn't been mentioned a lot is the "metalness" of it. Whereas previously I would always be tending to say Godflesh were never a metal band, surely this is as metal as they've been?

Funny.
I grew to consider them as a metal band from Selfless on.
But I came to Godflesh through Big Black and asking Gerry in Comet Records could he recommend me any other noise bands with drum machines.
He dug out Streetcleaner on vinyl with the comment, 'They're on the same label as Napalm Death but don't worry, they're not metal'.
And then went on to excuse himself for calling ND metal and spent another half hour at the counter trying to come up with a decent genre for ND Smile

God I miss record shops....
Monotremata
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:02 am  Reply with quote

theredhog wrote:
I just don't hear that clearness at all. Selfless is pristine (which is a great decision - IMO aside from Streetcleaner it's the finest example of the sound matching the songs). There's at least some grit in this new one to my ears.

WTF?? You CANT hear it?? Go listen to Slavestate, Pure right now and then the new one.. Benny's definitely on ONE of those albums and I dont hear it in 1991 or 1992.. Not even Dig's 'remasters' can fix that.
Justins guitars?? Sorry I cant make out half of what the fuck he was actually playing on Slavestate OR Pure.. I jam along with em all the time but most of it is a guess based on his own patterns and musical cliches hes used from the get go..

This album production wise fucking rules.. Shitty stoner bands wish they could clean their muddy demos up and still doom it this clear..

You guys gotta remember.. Hes a musician.. But hes also a long time engineer/mixer.. Once you get to a certain point where you learn how to cut this and boost that so everything has its own place you can actually hear, you dont want to go back to transient smearing/bandwidth limiting Tascam Portastudios. All of us 'studio geeks' shoot for that goal. Selfless was their first digital recording.. They ALMOST had it perfect but Im guessing Justin was mixing on some shitty Yamaha NS-10s or something hence the reason the bass is so out of control below like 60 hz on it.. Although he still made the kick drums thump along with it beats the hell outta me..

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
theredhog
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:11 am  Reply with quote

No. I can't hear a cleanness in the production of the new album which comes even close to that of Selfess. Where it stands compared to anything else in the discog is neither here nor there with folk dubbing it Selfless II.

Selfless is pristine; the new one is less grubby than most.

ETA: Just to clarify, I'm not saying the sound of the new album is no good - I like it - I just don't hear anything like Selfless in either the production or the bulk of the songs.
blipseed
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:19 am  Reply with quote
At least I have nice teeth?

decalaced wrote:
blipseed wrote:

Another factor which hasn't been mentioned a lot is the "metalness" of it. Whereas previously I would always be tending to say Godflesh were never a metal band, surely this is as metal as they've been?

Funny.
I grew to consider them as a metal band from Selfless on.
But I came to Godflesh through Big Black and asking Gerry in Comet Records could he recommend me any other noise bands with drum machines.
He dug out Streetcleaner on vinyl with the comment, 'They're on the same label as Napalm Death but don't worry, they're not metal'.
And then went on to excuse himself for calling ND metal and spent another half hour at the counter trying to come up with a decent genre for ND Smile

God I miss record shops....

Ah, many's a memorable chat I had with Gerry. He could be a grumpy old sod but when he got to know you (through visiting 2 or 3 times a week, and he knew what you liked), he was often helpful, holding scarce 12"s back without even asking and the like. Was Terry the other guy with the glasses? Sarcy little sod he was!

Monotremata
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:08 am  Reply with quote

theredhog wrote:
No. I can't hear a cleanness in the production of the new album which comes even close to that of Selfess. Where it stands compared to anything else in the discog is neither here nor there with folk dubbing it Selfless II.

Selfless is pristine; the new one is less grubby than most.

ETA: Just to clarify, I'm not saying the sound of the new album is no good - I like it - I just don't hear anything like Selfless in either the production or the bulk of the songs.

Ok I think I get what you mean now.. Pretty sure I remember reading Selfless was all done 'in the box', on a Tascam DA-88.. Nowdays, hes got some rather nice and EXPENSIVE front end gear, which goes into Logic, and theyre mixing down on a 16 channel analog console (cant remember what make/model).. Thats probably it.. I wouldve mixed the latest Monotremata 'out of the box' to avoid the slick digital sound too but Ive only got 8 outputs to work with on my interface and I needed just 5-6 channels on each song for the drums alone! Probably couldve bussed and stemmed it like Justin does but thats no fun unless you have a rack full of real LA-3As and 1176s!!

Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:14 am  Reply with quote
Where am I?

blipseed wrote:
What kind of metal I don't know, it still crawls along at GF pace but its as chugga-chugga as you get with GF.

Funny, but I was just saying this the other day on FB. On my first listen that was exactly what I thought of the album... very 'metal' with many a chugga-chuggs riff. Since then, I'm growing to like it more but I find myself comparing it to Selfless a lot in terms of the clean production and beefy guitar sound.

Actually, after giving it a few listens I played the S/T and Pure and the Pathological comp songs a few times. Although I find the new album varied in songs, it's a bit straightforward and doesn't have that 'ambient' repetitive heavy sound that I get from the early albums and EP's.
decalaced
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:03 pm  Reply with quote

Not getting the Selfless connection in production or songs.
This album is pretty much the most single minded thing they're ever put out which may or may not stand to it in time.
Selfless was way more diverse in terms of song structures.
Still loving it.
decalaced
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:04 pm  Reply with quote

Oh and Pure == Selfless*10
Monotremata
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:10 am  Reply with quote

Well they did wanna get back to their mean and nasty roots.. Selfless was prog-flesh hah.

I think the only complaint I have with it is I WANT MORE FEEDBACK NOISE LESS RIFFS!! Evil or Very Mad
Although I was really happy the first time I heard one of those trademark harmonic squeals in New Dark Ages..

elrrek
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:35 am  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

I'm really surprised that people are not *getting* the "Selfless" connection.

IMHO, there are many moments on the record that point directly to the "Selfless" era, the most obvious being "Curse Us All", that song could be slotted into "Selfless" in place of "Anything Is Mine" seamlessly. The guitar riff, the drums, the vocals, everything about it is Godflesh circa 1994.

And - obviously - I'm not upset about this in the slightest Smile

avocado diaboli wrote:
Monotremata
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:57 pm  Reply with quote

elrrek wrote:
I'm really surprised that people are not *getting* the "Selfless" connection.

IMHO, there are many moments on the record that point directly to the "Selfless" era, the most obvious being "Curse Us All", that song could be slotted into "Selfless" in place of "Anything Is Mine" seamlessly. The guitar riff, the drums, the vocals, everything about it is Godflesh circa 1994.

And - obviously - I'm not upset about this in the slightest Smile

We need a new Bigot!!!!

PappaWas1975
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

Having lived with AWLOBF for a while now, I still think it is awesome. Looking forward to the 10th December.
golem
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:33 am  Reply with quote

finally i manage to listen to the new album. well i need more listening but i can easily say that this is not a bad album.

www.myspace.com/proudpilot
Bernard
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:56 am  Reply with quote

Didn't know what to think of it at first. Some songs sounded not bad, others I didn't really like...
It took me at least half a dozen listens before something started to click.
For sure a grower, but I still don't really know yet where it will take me, great or just ok. We'll see.

Maurice
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:15 am  Reply with quote
A bit of a trotter, a bit of a rotter

Got my vinyl today!
avocado diaboli
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:58 am  Reply with quote
Darth Tedious

Mine is sitting at the post Office.

www.lusca.de
http://lusca.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/luscaofficial
Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:40 am  Reply with quote
Where am I?

My vinyl is sitting within the rest of my Godflesh vinyl collection with the plastic wrap still on it

no pom pom no pom pom no pom pom no pom pom
InDub
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

I find myself listening to side 2 more than side 1, but I like the whole thing quite a bit. The bass sound is probably the best they've managed to capture on record.
Monotremata
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:19 am  Reply with quote

avocado diaboli wrote:
Mine is sitting at the post Office.

Seriously hating ALL of you right now.. Yet another release Im gonna have to buy off ebay even though this time I was actually 'right there' when it was released hehehe.

elrrek
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:28 am  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

Boyd and Fiends wrote:
My vinyl is sitting within the rest of my Godflesh vinyl collection with the plastic wrap still on it

HIPSTER!

avocado diaboli wrote:
Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:12 am  Reply with quote
Where am I?

elrrek wrote:
Boyd and Fiends wrote:

HIPSTER!

roll roll roll

At least I own a record player sniggering