AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  Anyone still care about Prong?Reply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
doomride
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:56 pm  Reply with quote
Lord Marcus Ironfist teh Twonk-bane

I know a covers album is always a tough sell but I must say,they at least picked some cool songs to record...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/prong-songs-from-the-black-hole-teaser/

decalaced
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

They coulda picked a better Sisters Of Mercy song.
Elricj
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:41 pm  Reply with quote
Burning Outside

Yeah I'll pass on that I think... Seeing Red by Killing Joke is from 2003, decent song, but pretty recent in their catalog. I Don't Wanna Know If You Are Lonely is a Grant Hart Husker Du number off Candy Apple Grey, a bit slower then something I'd expect as a cover. Give Me The Cure by Fugazi is a pretty good choice IMO tho.
tomb
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

Agreed...
Arguably, they coulda picked a better (or at least more iconic) Killing Joke song too, although perhaps it's apt that one old band on the comeback trail should choose a track from another bands comeback album.
yourenotevil
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

no, fuck no. this band has sucked since cleansing. victor always played the whiskey in L.A. with continual scab line ups for like 5 bucks while I was in high school. I actually saw them at my first metal concert in 94 and they were great, I just didn't really know their material too well at that point. They actually picked some cool covers here, but this band hasn't put out a good record in YEARS.
avocado diaboli
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:22 am  Reply with quote
Darth Tedious

I beg to differ!

The horrendous "reunion" Phase and the resulting abomination "Scorpio Rising" aside, Prong has been amazing ever since Tommy put the band back together.

The early work, including "Rude Awakening", stands for itself - these are classics. But "Power of the damager" and especially "Carved Into Stone" are really, really good albums. The new one "Ruining Lives" less so, but it's still solid.

I've seen prong live often enough over the last few years and it, again the reunion shit aside, great every single time. In my opinion, of all the 90s bands Prong is among those few who are still relevant and good today.

The choice of songs on any cover album is of always debatable. More important than what they chose is what they make of the tracks, so I'm curious to hear the result.

I highly recomment to anyone to give "Carved Into Stone" a shot to get into newer Prong.

www.lusca.de
http://lusca.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/luscaofficial
Bernard
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

avocado diaboli wrote:
I beg to differ!

The horrendous "reunion" Phase and the resulting abomination "Scorpio Rising" aside, Prong has been amazing ever since Tommy put the band back together.

The early work, including "Rude Awakening", stands for itself - these are classics. But "Power of the damager" and especially "Carved Into Stone" are really, really good albums. The new one "Ruining Lives" less so, but it's still solid.

I've seen prong live often enough over the last few years and it, again the reunion shit aside, great every single time. In my opinion, of all the 90s bands Prong is among those few who are still relevant and good today.

The choice of songs on any cover album is of always debatable. More important than what they chose is what they make of the tracks, so I'm curious to hear the result.

I highly recomment to anyone to give "Carved Into Stone" a shot to get into newer Prong.

I'm with you here, Avo!!!

The only point I don't agree is that I rank the last one 'Ruining Lives', which reminds be a bit 'Beg To Differ' (my all time favorite), over 'Carved Into Stone'.

doomride
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:37 pm  Reply with quote
Lord Marcus Ironfist teh Twonk-bane

Yeah,I though 'Carved' was very strong...Still haven't heard 'Ruining Lives"...gonna have to check that one out...

yourenotevil
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:48 pm  Reply with quote

avocado diaboli wrote:
I beg to differ!

yeah, i gave those albums a fair shake, and was not into it at all. part of prong for me was also ted parsons. i just didn't feel the new stuff. i do think tommy did a decent job filling in for danzig though all those years, which he might or might not still do.
Corrupted
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:00 am  Reply with quote

I don't know the post Cleansing stuff that well but there are some good songs on the albums. I saw them at Hellfest in 2012 and in Belfast last year and they were great.
golem
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:25 pm  Reply with quote

i dunno what to feel about them anymore Sad

Rude Awakening was the last prong album i have loved.

www.myspace.com/proudpilot
Wilhelm_Stroker
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:26 am  Reply with quote

avocado diaboli wrote:
I beg to differ!

So much this. Latest album doesn't do much for me but Carved in Stone especially is a great album. I went back to Scorpio Rising a few months ago and god it's bad.
Maurice
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:39 am  Reply with quote
A bit of a trotter, a bit of a rotter

Yeah Tommy is still playing with Danzig. Saw him on tour with Danzig 2 years ago. Prong wasn't quite the same without Parsons for me, but some has been pretty good. Need to check out some of the recent stuff, I guess.