AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  Shithammer (Cochrane, Neville)Reply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
Runabout120
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:29 pm  Reply with quote
---

Does anyone ever heard anything about this project??

Quote:
Links: none
Bio: Little is known about this project. A demo was recorded in 1992, and thanks go out to this project in Ice's Bad Blood record, but no other releases are known.
slateman
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:35 pm  Reply with quote
Grey Machines, Dying Ocean, Slateman

I was hoping someone else would chime in on this one. I've had a copy of this demo for at least 12-13 years, maybe more. I got it from someone at some point long ago. However, it came with a DO NOT DISTRIBUTE notice and so I haven't. This tape lasted through the flood of my basement and here it sits.

As much as I've wanted to share it, I honored the request. I can't even recall who sent it, sadly. Dunno if there's a statute of limitations on something like this. Surely there's no real harm in people hearing this...right??? Then again, I don't want to be a douche and not honor his request. *shrug*

As for the project, I'm quite certain it died out. While the demo was from '92 and Bad Blood came out in '98, I imagine it was just a side project for Cochrane and Neville with no actual full releases, even despite the six-year span. I was on the ball about things back then...I think I would've known. Could be mistaken, of course.

Monotremata
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:05 am  Reply with quote
bent on world D.A.R.mination!

Slate, if Dave says its ok can you rip a copy of that for us?? I can go ask him. Paul is pretty much MIA from society in general but I can always ask Mr Nang.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
slateman
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:55 am  Reply with quote

I got my old cassette deck out and tested inputs. It's certainly not the best hardware setup and the audio quality of the tape itself leaves something to be desired. (1992 after all!) My first test rip seemed pretty good, actually.

However, a Dave OK would be all I'd need to not feel bad about this! I think you guys would love it. That driving, droning, noisy rock from '92 is solid shit.

Mono...see what you can find out. Worst case, I entrust the cassette to someone with a better audio rig than mine. But we're getting ahead of ourselves. Let me know! I'd be fucking psyched to share this!!!

Monotremata
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:58 am  Reply with quote

I literally just got his response like 2 minutes ago. He said he has no problem with it as long as we can keep it amongst ourselves so nobody run and put this up on Pirate Bay or anything. He was shocked you had it actually haha. He wants a copy of it once youve ripped it but yeah other than that its all good. Avalanchers police yourselves with the sharing though, lets respect the bassmasters wishes.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Josh
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:15 pm  Reply with quote
Owt and Abowt

Monotremata wrote:
I literally just got his response like 2 minutes ago. He said he has no problem with it as long as we can keep it amongst ourselves so nobody run and put this up on Pirate Bay or anything. He was shocked you had it actually haha. He wants a copy of it once youve ripped it but yeah other than that its all good. Avalanchers police yourselves with the sharing though, lets respect the bassmasters wishes.

I would love a copy and will be sure to keep it to myself.

doomride
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:58 pm  Reply with quote
Lord Marcus Ironfist teh Twonk-bane

Twonkhammer

Maurice
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:24 pm  Reply with quote
A bit of a trotter, a bit of a rotter

Do want! Yes please!
Mothra
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:49 pm  Reply with quote
Board Sherlock

Ditto. Never heard of this!

my music/label / label #2 /jkb activities / jkb fan blog
Wilhelm_Stroker
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

Mothra wrote:
Ditto. Never heard of this!
Runabout120
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:27 pm  Reply with quote
---

23 years later... long enough.
Dear Slateman,
if there's any possibility, would really appreciate this

not worthy
Monotremata
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:59 am  Reply with quote

Slate its funny you cant remember who sent it. I sent Dave the picture of it and he said it definitely wasnt his or Paul's handwriting on it because you wouldnt have been able to read it if it was hah.

slateman
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:54 pm  Reply with quote

Was at the lake for a few days.

Well, I know it wasn't Dave himself; I never traded with anyone of that...caliber...Whoever this was was an awesome dude, surely, and I think I also got stuff like Solaris - 02 in the trade (if I traded anything...who knows). The more I think about it...this may have been the late '90s.

Test rip #1 is done. It clocks in at about 38 minutes and appears to be about five songs long. Each song seems to be a bit lower than the prior song (I just recorded the whole lot in one session, as you can see), so I may go back and mess with the levels. Record each song separately to try to normalize the lot. If that's a bad idea (you guys are the pros), let me know. Here's the wavform from my first rip. The right channel died out 3/4 of the way through for a few seconds...

Any suggestions, let me know. Of course, Mono could've just said, "Hey, lemme check with Dave..." and NOT have checked with him...but I think 23 years is a good amount to stay hidden and I also think some of you would really dig this stuff.

Monotremata
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:48 am  Reply with quote

Haha no way I love mister DC, I try to keep in touch with him on a regular basis! Ive got nothing but the utmost respect for him. Had quite a few dosses with him and Justin I can vaguely remember! As far as keeping it amongst ourselves, hes probably just worried about someone trying to possibly cash in on their work that never really saw the light of day, or who knows maybe Paul will come out of his shell one day and theyll try to release it proper. You know how shady internet scum is.

I actually left a perfectly brand 'new' unused Sony tape deck when I moved from Coachella in May because I didnt have time and space to grab it or Id offer to try to rip it. I just got my Mac out of storage and setup literally yesterday so I can help with any normalizing or 'fixing' if you want. It was covered in an inch of dirt thanks to the storage place out in the desert but seems to be working fine so far. I still have to get my monitor levels calibrated for this room but thats a quick 10 minutes Im gonna do tomorrow.

Elricj
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm  Reply with quote
Burning Outside

Hell ya, would love to hear that.
slateman
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:21 am  Reply with quote

OK. So, here it is. It doesn't sound great. If anyone can tweak this, please let me know and I'll re-upload. Not that I have any legitimate ownership of this, but to honor DC's request, let's keep the # of versions of this limited and not have it hosted in more than one spot. Please only let this be shared via godflesh.com and after a little bit, I'll remove the link or rename the file and make it request only.

http://www.godflesh.com/downloads/sounds/sh/

It's a 200Mb RAR file which includes a short readme and five FLAC files.

The password is the 11-letter name of our beloved forum. All lower case.

Gentleman's agreement says we do the right thing here. Be cool.

Don't know if there's anything else I should say but I'm so glad to share this with people who would actually like it. I think you guys will.

Thanks to Monotremata for coordinating the OK.

Anything more? Fucking enjoy.

Mothra
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:46 am  Reply with quote
Board Sherlock

THANK YOU!!
meeeetaaaal meeeetaaaal meeeetaaaal meeeetaaaal meeeetaaaal
I treated the sound a bit, sent you a PM slateman

my music/label / label #2 /jkb activities / jkb fan blog
kungfusocks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

So what can I use to change them from flac to mp3? Will it convert it if I copy them to my iTunes folder?

Josh
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:39 pm  Reply with quote
Owt and Abowt

I downloaded the file but it won't let me open it because it's password protected, but isn't giving me a prompt to enter the password. Can anyone assist the technologically challenged?

xo,

Josh

slateman
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

We may have an updated/cleaned up version to follow up with (courtesy of Mothra). I'll have to grab it tonight and check it out. It's probably a noticeable improvement.

As for technology...Windows/Mac? Try right-clicking? Got WinZip, WinRAR, 7z or anything? (programs to open this type of file).

MP3 kinda sucks and usually ppl ask that you not convert them. FLAC is bigger (= better). Surely any major player will play these. I hate iTunes, so I can't help you there.

Josh
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:10 pm  Reply with quote
Owt and Abowt

slateman wrote:
We may have an updated/cleaned up version to follow up with (courtesy of Mothra). I'll have to grab it tonight and check it out. It's probably a noticeable improvement.

As for technology...Windows/Mac? Try right-clicking? Got WinZip, WinRAR, 7z or anything? (programs to open this type of file).

MP3 kinda sucks and usually ppl ask that you not convert them. FLAC is bigger (= better). Surely any major player will play these. I hate iTunes, so I can't help you there.

I'm on Windows. I'm using WinZip but when I go to extract, it gives me an error message because of the password, but isn't giving me a prompt for the password and I can't figure out how to enter the password.

Runabout120
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:25 pm  Reply with quote
---

Thank you Slateman! I/WE feel honoured

Quote:

True that!
Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:08 pm  Reply with quote
Where am I?

Josh wrote:
I downloaded the file but it won't let me open it because it's password protected, but isn't giving me a prompt to enter the password. Can anyone assist the technologically challenged?

xo,

Josh

You probably need to unzip it using winrar, this is what I use. A box will come up to enter the password. http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Thanks Slateman for the music!!!
Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:39 am  Reply with quote
Where am I?

kungfusocks wrote:
So what can I use to change them from flac to mp3? Will it convert it if I copy them to my iTunes folder?

I use flacsquisher: http://flacsquisher.sourceforge.net/ It seems to work well to convert flac to mp3. iTunes won't convert them.
chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:34 pm  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh

Thanks Slateman and Dave (though he won't see this Smile )

Tech tips: I use 7-Zip for all my file compression/uncompressing needs.
LameXP will convert anything to anything audio-wise if you're a Win-head.
Both are free.

BassTotem
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

Whoa. Some kicks sound like a Skullflowered version of Cable Regime. I really dig this. Esp. the first and last tracks. Stellar. White Subway III.

Monotremata
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:48 am  Reply with quote

Grabbing it now!! My "studio" is back up and full on running. Im sure Mothra will do a good job of 'fixing' things but if I hear anything that needs fixing Ill give it a shot too.

Ill pass the download link on to Dave..

Monotremata
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:02 am  Reply with quote

Interesting notes, Im talking to Dave right now.. Apparently Paul found the original Portastudio tape of this. Hes getting into using the computer for recording now and DC said finally finishing this may be his first project, which is why they dont want it sent out everywhere. Heres to hoping this sees the light of day.

BassTotem
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

Monotremata wrote:
Interesting notes, Im talking to Dave right now.. Apparently Paul found the original Portastudio tape of this. Hes getting into using the computer for recording now and DC said finally finishing this may be his first project, which is why they dont want it sent out everywhere.

Shocked
You mean Paul's back from the dead?

Monotremata
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

Dave said him and Diarmuid see him all the time, he just likes to keep it low key.

Elricj
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:15 am  Reply with quote
Burning Outside

That third track reminded me heavily of Streetcleaner's guitar work. Would like to see this cleaned up for sure.
Monotremata
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

Elricj wrote:
That third track reminded me heavily of Streetcleaner's guitar work. Would like to see this cleaned up for sure.

They both play guitar on it. Paul did the rhythms/drum machine and his signature drone guitar work, Dave did the bass and what he called "choppy guitar". Both did vocals too, Dave did 3 and Paul did 2 of them.

jonny_delphium
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

fistly..apologies for bumping such an old thread...I came loojibg for aomethibg else..

It was myself that passed the SH demo cassette to Slateman...probably circa '98 or '99. I seemto remember we traded records and I mentioned that I had it and would he like to have it ( as it was listed on the website with no details)..Id dumped it onto minidisc anyhow, which I still have somewhere.

So that clears THAT up..

I was sent the cassette in 1992 by the late Jon Everall of Sentrax who thought I might be interested in releasing a 7" by them on a small labell I was running at the time. I loved the demo and the sheer rawness of it and conversations with both Paul and Justin took place and a release was planned..but fell by the wayside as these things do.

As a related footnote, it was Jon Everall who asked me if I would be interested in releasing a Scorn 7"...this was at the Bull & Gate gig in London where Scorn supported Terminal Cheesecake...why Mick or Nick didnt ask themselves remains a mystery..
chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:48 pm  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh

"Silenced/Outerbounds" was the Scorn 7" right? Still got that at home. Nice one, Mr Delphium.

jonny_delphium
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

No, that was the Lull 7"
chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:02 pm  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh

jonny_delphium wrote:
No, that was the Lull 7"

Course it was. Schoolboy error on my part. Still a great 7" though.
Love all the Ramleh/Splintered/Skullflower business too.

jonny_delphium
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

selling all that shit including very rare testpressings etc on discogs.xom same uaername.
chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:17 pm  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh

Fucking hell, I'm tempted to sell my "Cenotaph" 12" if that's market rates Surprised

jonny_delphium
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

yeab..I even lowered mine in price..originally it was supposedly worth 96!. Sold a few odd things like Boltthrower and Prophecy Of Doom for good money...unfortunately you get stung for selling costs as well as paypal fee's, but most of this shit has been sitting in boxes for like 16 years