AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  What Books Are You Reading?Reply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
klawful
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

Elricj wrote:
finish up Hard Boiled. Nice ending.

Re-reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and just about to dig into the 2 new issues of Sandman he's writing now..

Oh, he's still writing for Sandman? Cool.

I was interested in picking up that Dreamhunters, i think that was the title, Sandman novel some years ago--had that Japanese artist--good looking stuff. Did you read that--was the story good?
blipseed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:01 am  Reply with quote
At least I have nice teeth?

Just finished Mister B. Gone, the latest Clive Barker. More of a novella than a novel. As with all Barker, quite easy to read. Seems to be a bit of a return to form, it's quite macabre and grotesque in bits, but with his usual dark humour thrown in. The plot hearkens back to something that might have appeared in his Books Of Blood.

Basically it's a short tale of a demon fished up from the ninth circle who roams the earth up to no good. The novelty of it, a little bit cheap I think, is that he is currently trapped in the book you are reading and is regaling you with his tales as you read, talking to you personally. That aspect grates a bit after a while. Lots of bloodshed, violence, demons and angels, so if it's that's your bag, it's not a bad read. There's something about Barker that I still like, he doesn't take it all too seriously like most fantasy horror authors do, so it comes across as more of a fairy tale or comic style story than an Ann Rice novel.

klawful
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

sounds solid. will add to the list.
paik
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:16 pm  Reply with quote
Black Metal Warrior

Re-reading "The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band" .. Hate the band, love the drama.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
squiddy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:41 am  Reply with quote
cephalopod

I've put up a list on my blog (http://justverbigeration.blogspot.com/) of books I'd like to get around reading. It would be cool if anyone wanted to suggest anything for me to add to my list. I've already got a few on there that were recommended by Avalanchers. Smile
chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:56 am  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh

Some good choices there Squidster, you'll enjoy "We" if you liked 1984 (controversialists may like to claim that Orwell ripped off Zamyatin something rotten). Let us know if you manage to finish "Ulysses" - I got about a third of the way through and haven't gone back yet!

If you want recommendations (you may well have read some of these, please don't be offended if you have!):

Read all of Oscar Wilde's prose and plays. You might like the poems as well, but me and poetry don't get on.

Dickens - "David Copperfield" is a total work of genius.

John Fowles: many people like "The Magus", but it could have done with ending about 100 pages earlier than it does (still a cracking read though). "The French Lieutenant's Woman" is probably his best, but I'd happily recommend "A Maggot" and "The Collector" too.

Iain Banks: "Complicity" or "The Wasp Factory"
Margaret Atwood: "The Handmaid's Tale" and "The Blind Assassin"
David Mitchell: "Cloud Atlas"

I could go on all day...

Last edited by chickenf1sh on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:59 am  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh

Currently I'm reading "Anathem" by Neal Stephenson. I'm loving it: it's his usual mix of rip-roaring thriller and heavy intellectual stuff (we're talking philosophy of science in this one).

Wilhelm_Stroker
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:43 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
David Mitchell: "Cloud Atlas"

I bought that quite a while ago and still haven't gotten round to reading it...
Sidney James
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:47 am  Reply with quote
Dead South African Comic

William S, Burroughs - Cities Of The Red Night

deadcase
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:55 am  Reply with quote

Has anyone here read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand? if so.. what were your impressions of the book and is it worth a read? thanks in advance..
squiddy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:35 pm  Reply with quote
cephalopod

chickenf1sh wrote:
you'll enjoy "We" if you liked 1984

I just read 1984 for the second time, and Brave New World for the first. Apparently the three share a lot of similarities, but for some reason I'd never heard of 'We' until I did a bit of research. We'll see how it goes.

chickenf1sh wrote:
"The Wasp Factory"

Read this about a year ago. Excellent read. I was shaken up for a few days afterward though.. the scene with the baby will be forever burned into my memory.

I'll check out the other ones you recommended. Thank youuu!
blackmark
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:00 pm  Reply with quote
'Australian Minister for Avalanches'

squiddy wrote:
the scene with the baby will be forever burned into my memory.

i don't think anyone who's read it will ever be free of that little nugget... Shocked

rorix_bladething
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

blackmark wrote:
squiddy wrote:

i don't think anyone who's read it will ever be free of that little nugget... Shocked

Very few books really disturb me. That one did. Loved it muchly.

I'm currently plowing my way through as much Chris Ware as possible. Some of the most hilariously depressing stuff I have ever read. Especially his commentary on the life of the artist.
Wilhelm_Stroker
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

I've just ordered a copy of The Wasp Factory cheap off amazon as I'm curious about it. Any book that has such an impression on people deserves a chance.
Grindofago
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

Right now, a lot of technical books (to name a few authors: Agamben, Zizek, Eagleton, Hannah Arendt), but other than that, last books read:

The omen (first timer)
Joseph Conrad's Typhoon
Dostoyevski's Notes from the underground/The double

'We' is great, specially the ending. What are other dystopian books in the same vein?

Hardcorener
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:53 pm  Reply with quote
I'm not one of us.

Slavoj Žižek? Fantastic!

Grindofago
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, that Zizek. Love his anedoctes and his interpretations of Lacan on movies and whatnot, but I don't always concur with some of his political views.

doomride
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:37 pm  Reply with quote
Lord Marcus Ironfist teh Twonk-bane

deadcase wrote:
Has anyone here read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand? if so.. what were your impressions of the book and is it worth a read? thanks in advance..

If you want to get bludgeoned by reason,integrity,morality and Objectivism for hundreds and hundreds of pages then have at it...if not,avoid....
Hardcorener
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:50 pm  Reply with quote
I'm not one of us.

Grindofago wrote:
Yes, that Zizek. Love his anedoctes and his interpretations of Lacan on movies and whatnot, but I don't always concur with some of his political views.

Great man. And I'm not saying this 'cause he's from former Yugoslavia but I find his work really fascinating.

I have two documentaries: " Žižek " and " The Pervert's Guide To Cinema ". Good stuff.

Lemme know if you're interested.

Ever read: " The Puppet and the Dwarf: The Perverse Core of Christianity " ?

Grindofago
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

Saw those two, and liked 'Pervert's guide...' a bit more (specially the Hitchcock parts). But my fav scene is the sequence on the s/t movie where he goes on about how taking his son to McDonald's is mainly a time-saving strategy and how love is a negative thing.

Puppet...is one of his old books I haven't read, but I love the example he gives on the marxist-conservative versus neoliberal father telling his child to go to his grandma's house.

Hardcorener
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:33 pm  Reply with quote
I'm not one of us.

Haha yeah...have you seen his kitchen? sniggering

Puppet is from 2003 actually. Fine book.

Grindofago
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:40 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, that Stalin poster and his justification were funny. Then again, that's kinda what I meant when I said I disagree w/some of his political views.

By old I meant his early stuff (Hegel with Lacan, Enjoy your symptom!For they know not..., ). After 2005 or something he started putting out an insane amount of stuff (Violence, In defense of lost causes, Virtuality of the real...) and I lost track of his output.

Btw, I have Parallax view and hardly got past the introduction. Way fucking complex, and his style of mixing a shitload of subjects together gets a lot in the way.

Panasonic Youth
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:50 am  Reply with quote
NO FUTURE. UTOPIA NOW.

Noise/Music: A History by Paul Hegarty
golem
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:31 am  Reply with quote

started readin Robert Kirkman's Invincible - looks really good!

www.myspace.com/proudpilot
Hardcorener
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:25 pm  Reply with quote
I'm not one of us.

Grindofago wrote:
Yes, that Stalin poster and his justification were funny. Then again, that's kinda what I meant when I said I disagree w/some of his political views.

By old I meant his early stuff (Hegel with Lacan, Enjoy your symptom!For they know not..., ). After 2005 or something he started putting out an insane amount of stuff (Violence, In defense of lost causes, Virtuality of the real...) and I lost track of his output.

Btw, I have Parallax view and hardly got past the introduction. Way fucking complex, and his style of mixing a shitload of subjects together gets a lot in the way.

True.

I've posted the link ( see eBooks ) where you can find any writer. Plenty of Žižek's work there.

Also, if you wisit BTjunkie and Demonoid, you will find quite a few videos (his lectures etc ) as well as audio and eBooks.

Grindofago
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

Coincidentally, Zizek was on a local TV interview program last night. His take on christianity as being the closest thing to the Communist Party programme was funny.

Have you ever read Terry Eagleton? Kinda different from Zizek, but great thinker, nonetheless. And he writes with that british insol-accent as well!

Hardcorener
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:18 pm  Reply with quote
I'm not one of us.

No, I don't know him but I'd like to check him out. Any recommendations?

Žižek iz great. I remember him way back when he ran as candidate for presidency of the Republic of Slovenia.

Ever read his texts on Wagner, Laibach, Matrix etc.?

On a less serious note, another great thinker and my favorite:

Link To The YouTube Page Containing The Above Video

sniggering

cutout
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:42 pm  Reply with quote
internot

I'm working my way through a fairly large pile of xmas pressie books, just finished 'Restless' by William Boyd, which I loved - I have Any Human Heart waiting in the wings. I am now reading The Diving Pool by Yoko Ogawa which I wasn't into initially but it's just suddenly taken a very dark turn and has gotten me hooked - I'm also reading some book predicting the 5 major trends over the next 50 years, which is Ok when you want to read for 5 minutes to send you to sleep. I've still got Bryan Talbot's 'Alice in Sunderland' and David Pearce's 'Tokyo Year Zero' waiting to be read.
deadcase
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:24 pm  Reply with quote

doomride wrote:
deadcase wrote:

If you want to get bludgeoned by reason,integrity,morality and Objectivism for hundreds and hundreds of pages then have at it...if not,avoid....

ah.. much as I'd suspected Doomy.. I think I'll leave it for now anyway as I have an appreciable amount of unread books to keep me going for a little while.. a personal library should always have a few books awaiting to be read I think.. lol my currently unread tomes number 21.. and that is just books that I've acquired in the last couple of months..

so yeah.. note to self - no more buying of the books right now.. get rid of the backlog first!! kittah!
Grindofago
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:52 am  Reply with quote

Hardcorener wrote:
No, I don't know him but I'd like to check him out. Any recommendations?

Žižek iz great. I remember him way back when he ran as candidate for presidency of the Republic of Slovenia.

Ever read his texts on Wagner, Laibach, Matrix etc.?

On a less serious note, another great thinker and my favorite:

Link To The YouTube Page Containing The Above Video

sniggering

See what you think of his review of David Beckham's biography (no shit). His "Ideology: an introduction" is funny as hell, and he never wanders too far from the point like, say, Zizek. For example, this part:

"(...)What this comes down to is that the Soviet Union is in the grip of ideology while the U.S. sees things as they really are. This, as the reader will appreciate, is not in itself an ideological viewpoint. To seek some humble, pragmatical political goal, such as bringing down the democratically elected government of Chile, is a question of adapting oneself realistically to the facts; to send one's tanks into Czechoslovakia is an instance of ideological fanaticism."

I didn't read Zizek's texts on Wagner, but his article on why aren't Laibach fascists is cool. The Matrix stuff is recurrent - Welcome to the desert of the real! being the most ellaborate Matrixian stuff I've come across so far.

Hardcorener
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:38 pm  Reply with quote
I'm not one of us.

Haha..this guy is very good. I'm going to check some of his work. Thanx for the recommendation.

Wilhelm_Stroker
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:03 am  Reply with quote

rorix_bladething wrote:
blackmark wrote:
squiddy wrote:

I'm currently plowing my way through as much Chris Ware as possible. Some of the most hilariously depressing stuff I have ever read. Especially his commentary on the life of the artist.

I'm about halfway through The Wasp Factory at the moment. Loving every minute of it.
rorix_bladething
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

Wilhelm_Stroker wrote:
rorix_bladething wrote:
blackmark wrote:
squiddy wrote:

I'm about halfway through The Wasp Factory at the moment. Loving every minute of it.

Glad to hear it man.
squiddy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:49 pm  Reply with quote
cephalopod

Wilhelm_Stroker wrote:

Just wait 'till the end. It'll knock you on your ass (in a good way).
Savier
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:14 pm  Reply with quote

squiddy wrote:

chickenf1sh wrote:
"The Wasp Factory"

Read this about a year ago. Excellent read. I was shaken up for a few days afterward though.. the scene with the baby will be forever burned into my memory.

I'll check out the other ones you recommended. Thank youuu!

I read it when I was at school but some tosser told the ending before I got to that part. It kind of spoiled it but I still enjoyed it. "The Bridge" is amazing. I'm going to have to read it again actualy.

I forgot about the streetcleaner.

Last edited by Savier on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://soundcloud.com/greggd/

https://twitter.com/savier_uk
Savier
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:18 pm  Reply with quote

Fuck I just read a bit further down.

WILHELM DONT READ MY LAST POST

http://soundcloud.com/greggd/

https://twitter.com/savier_uk
maninacan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:53 pm  Reply with quote
Destoyer of the cinematic sentence

since school ive got in the habbit of reading several books at once atm i am reading
the versuvius club-mark gattis (really good gettin through it quite quickly)

new moon-stephanie meyer(young adult stuff bout a girl an her vampire bf liked twilight this is the first of 3 sequels not enjoying it as much but we shall see)

predator-patrica cornwell
chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:26 pm  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh

NR: "Angels & Insects" by AS Byatt

Byatt is amazing. Her books are so satisfying, artistically and intellectually, I can't describe the excitement of immersing yourself in them.

klawful
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

that's an endorsement I'll take up on. add it to the library list.

nr: Swedish Death Metal. So far immensely enjoyable take on the pre-black, post-thrash death metal scene in Sweden. Lots of coverage in the beginning of the general punk roots of the scene internationally, but then more specifically to the swedish punk scene as influence.

The guy seems to know his stuff, but is willing to admit it's only his take and his sources (growing up in the scene, mining old zines, friends and interviews) are admittedly failable to a good degree.
theredhog
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

A couple of recent reads.

Got hold of a copy of Sam Fussell's long out-of-print 'Muscle'. Fascinating account of a serious academic who feels intimidated by the size of a city, so becomes a bodybuilder. Of course, that's only the germ from which the self-loathing comedown sprouts. A quite incredible journal of a strange slice of life.

Found myself back to a classic during the week; Don deLillo's gorgeous novella The Body Artist. Such economy from a writer who - while chronically gifted - could occasionally be accused of overegging his puddings. Beautiful stuff though.

This week I'm hoping to get re-stuck into Bolano's The Savage detectives, if my own work doesn't take up all my reading and writing time.

ETA: Sorry for being so contrary, but The Wasp Factory was shit. Smile