AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  More Current...Reply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
Nicholas Bullen
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:01 pm  Reply with quote
Whatever it is, I'm against it...

More details of a few things (for anyone who may like to know)...

‘Hey Hey Glossolalia’ Book
‘Hey Hey Glossolalia’ is a textual extension of the practice of curator and artist Mark Beasley. I am contributing a chapter which re-works a lecture which I delivered at the Arnolfini Gallery, Bristol in early 2006.
The chapter discusses the dissolution of linguistic meaning in the voice in Grindcore, and covers a range of reference points including French Symbolist poetry, Dada typography, the ‘D.I.Y. Culture’ of the late 1970’s/early 1980’s, anarchist philosophy in relation to language, language based sound pieces, music as 'talisman' and the fear of the loss of language in the writings of H.P. Lovecraft.
The book is scheduled for publication by the end of 2006.

Turner Prize Evening
I will also be delivering another version of the lecture / book chapter as a lecture/ performance as part of the events related to the 2006 Turner Prize at Tate Britain, London.
The artist Mark Titchner (one of the 4 artists nominated for this years Turner Prize) asked me to contribute to an evening exploring the themes around his work which features the artist talking about his work, showings of William Burroughs’ ‘Cut Up’ films, my lecture / performance, a performance by Penny Rimbaud (of the English anarchist group Crass) and a panel featuring all of the participants.
The evening (which is part of the ‘Tate Late’ evenings themed around the Turner Prize) takes place at Tate Britain (Starr Auditorium) in London on Friday November 3rd 2006 (between 20.30 and 22.30).
http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/eventseducation/musicperform/6926.htm
http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/turnerprize/2006/default.shtm

Loudspeaker
I have been asked to contribute a spoken word piece for a double CD edition of spoken word and performance pieces called ‘Loudspeaker’ (released by White Columns, New York and Book Works, UK).
The edition also contains work by artists such as Penny Rimbaud, Monte Cazazza, Sue Tompkins, Frances Stark and Michael Gira.
My piece is structured around an intermeshing narrative that links death and the end of adolescence to a response to the English Landscape tradition in art and culture. It explores ways in which the voice can be used to generate sound and meaning – all sounds in the piece are generated from recordings of the human voice.
The double CD should be released in early 2007.
http://www.rampub.com/art+culture/1-870699-83-1?PHPSESSID=5ae9acc622c478b2f28dade2675a513c

JMA689
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:27 pm  Reply with quote
mode-wataaaaa

wow, you're keeping yourself busy... I wish Black Galaxy had plans to play some live performances in the US (i know, i know, i am dreaming).
Nice to see your name associated with people like Penny Rimbaud too.
is the ‘Hey Hey Glossolalia’ Book gonna be released in the US too? (even tho the internet allows to order from anywhere...)

Lemmy Kilmister wrote:
'In my life so far, I have discovered that there are really only two kinds of people: those who are for you, and those who are against you. Learn to recognize them, for they are often and easily mistaken for each other.'
Monotremata
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:03 pm  Reply with quote
bent on world D.A.R.mination!

Hey Ill even make the 6 hour trek back to JMA's house if you come over to the US!!!

Well make you a Jesu fan badge we promise!! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
The Inferno Master
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:20 am  Reply with quote

Looks like you're a busy man, Nik. Hopefully we out here on the board will get to see some of this stuff in some shape or form down the road. I'm not suprised to see you're lecturing either - after reading your lengthy cross referenced music and film posts all this time on Avalanche I figured you should probably be doling out knowledge in more formal or focused forums....

desu evol yaw
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:16 am  Reply with quote
Swill collector

anticipating beyond words these things.. especially the spoken word cd; it will be interesting to hear "the man" again.