AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  Wong Kar-Wai (filmmaker)Reply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
Daniel
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:06 am  Reply with quote

Hey, is there anybody here familiar with this director's work?. I discovered a theater in my city dealing with "cult", underground films and this week they're showing three of his films: Days Of Being Wild (1991), Chungking Express (1995) and In The Mood For Love (2000). I've been told his style resembles that of Jean-Luc Godard. Thanks for reading!.

Hibakusha
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:51 am  Reply with quote

Yes- although I'm only familiar with In The Mood For Love and it's "sequel", 2046.

Without giving too much away, they are their own entities, but it helps seeing earlier works first, well, at least "In The Mood For Love" before "2046". Somebody gets his heart broken and the later movie focuses on that. Plus some science fiction in a form or another. Razz

Isolation, loneliness, romance, memory playing tricks, etc. Beautiful moody stuff, but requires some patience perhaps. And these aforementioned movies, they arent that much of "underground"- fairly simple movies in their own ways, but I dont mean that in a negative way here.

Perhaps this is just highly personal thing of mine- these movies should not watched you are tired- I personally love asian movies, no matter what genre, but if I'm just wee bit tired, it can be a quite difficult.

Cant say anything about other movies of this director, I should see more.
Josh
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:01 pm  Reply with quote
Owt and Abowt

I love Wong Kar-Wai, but I don't think the comparison to Godard is a good one, thematically or stylistically. Both extraordinary filmmakers, but very different.

However, both "Days Of Being Wild" and "In The Mood For Love" are great films and most definitely worth checking out. His cinematographer Christopher Doyle is amazing and that alone makes his films worth seeing. Themes of loss, regret, missed opportunities, all drenched in a haze of exquisite melancholy.

"Chungking Express" is his most commercial film and also pretty good, but not as good as the other "Days" or "In The Mood" -- or "2046", for that matter.

adn
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

yeah, the Godard comparison's not especially apt...not sure who to compare him to, but his films are usually quite beautiful and atmospheric, if not all that strong on plot (which is fine, in this case). 2046 is very cool.
theredhog
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:48 pm  Reply with quote

To be honest I find much of his work overrated, if visually beautiful. The exception would be Chungking Express though - that's just a great piece of work.